Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

slow internet speed

New Poster

slow internet speed

I used to have xfinity triple play then downgraded to just internet, a 400mbps package. Ended up that it was offered in my area yet even though they sold it to me, my internet wouldnt work. After talking to a tech, he informed me the package wasn't for this area yet which is why it wouldnt work. Told a service rep this, they downgraded me to the 300mbps down package, then I finally had internet again after a few days. The speed will be 250-300 for weeks on end, then one week itlll be under 70mbps. I'm getting pretty annoyed with this. Every time I talk to a rep, they do a modem reset and nothing ever changes. They'll send a tech out and nothing will be wrong, as normal. 

I'm currently using a Netgear CM500 router that does up to 640mbps down and even says for blast/extreme comcast usage. For a router I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800. I have CAT6 ran to my garage to a Netgear switch that my PC is connected to. The internet speed is the same when this problem happens, wired or wireless. 

How can I help get this resolved?

New Poster

Re: slow internet speed

Expert

The first step to troubleshooting is to figure out if you have a home network issue or modem/signal issue. To do this you'll want to connect directly to the modem via ethernet. If you are still experiencing issues, you can focus on the modem and/or signal issues. If your speed issues resolve while directly connected to the modem you can then focus on router/adapters/switches. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Official Employee

Hi, bretthiltz - I received your private message. Please do not send messages to moderators without a request in the future, it's a violation of Forums Policy and Guidelines. I can check your modem and see if there are any issues with the provisioning. Please send me a private message and include your full name, the account holder's name as it listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Thank you!