Community Forum

slow internet speed with BLAST

New Poster

slow internet speed with BLAST

I have "BLAST" which should be good for 200 Mbps.  With the comcast supplied modem/router, I achieved 50Mbps with WiFi and the wired connection.  Trying to improve, I installed a Netgear C7100V modem/router and achieved 45 Mbps with WiFi and 285 Mbps with wired connection.  Why?  How can I get the WiFi speed increased?

Regular Visitor

Re: slow internet speed with BLAST

I have the same problem, but my speeds are less than 10Mbps.

Expert

2.4GHz or 5GHz connection?
I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I had the same issue and just installed a Motorola SB6183 (surfboard) modem which we purchased at Amazon. Down load speed from xfinity is close to 100MBPS since I have the pro plus package from xfinity which allows for 100mbps so it definetly works great. Additionally I have a Netgear router which allows for many different hookups in our home without disrupting any download speeds. Hope this helps.
Contributor

WIFI has two channels - 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

The 2.4 GHz is slower but works at father distances.

The 5 GHz is faster but not does not work as well at distance.

The SSIDs should be different for best performance and enables you to put specific devices on a specific channel. For example, you may want to put printers on the slower channel and your PC on the faster channel.

WIFI devices have different standards such as 802.11G, 802.11N, and 802.11AC.

“G” is the oldest and slowest. Next was “N’ which is faster. An “N” router will support both “G” and “N” standards. The current standard is “AC” and an “AC” router will support all three standards. And there are speed ranges of “AC” Routers.

Your WIFI speed may be limited depending on the model of your router.

Also on some routers, WIFI will slow down to the slowest connected device so if you have an old “G” device, it may be slowing your WIFI channel down to “G” speeds. Power off all of your WIFI devices and connect the only the test device.

Then of course the device you are testing the WIFI speed may be an issue as the WIFI driver in the device may be the limiting factor.

Hope this helps.

Diamond Problem Solver

@Bert-X wrote:

WIFI devices have different standards such as 802.11G, 802.11N, and 802.11AC.

“G” is the oldest and slowest. 

FWIW, actually "A" and "B" are the oldest. "B" was the slowest at 11 Mbps.

The SSIDs should be different for best performance and enables you to put specific devices on a specific channel. For example, you may want to put printers on the slower channel and your PC on the faster channel.

Actually for clarity, they are different *bands*, not "channels". The individual "channels" are located within the different *bands*

Contributor

EG is correct 

New Poster

New Poster

how do you "select"  the 2.4 or 5 mHz bands for each device (ie., laptop, firestick, etc..)

Silver Problem Solver

@johnruthk wrote:

how do you "select"  the 2.4 or 5 mHz bands for each device (ie., laptop, firestick, etc..)

The devices will display a choice of SSID's.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202639

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@johnruthk wrote:

You select them in the particular individual device's WiFi Connection Properties Dialogs.