Community Forum

separate modems for voice and internet/cable

Regular Visitor

separate modems for voice and internet/cable

I have one modem/router for my voice/cabble and internet. I want to move my cable/internet modem to a more central location. I need to leave the voice connection where it is. What do I need to do to separate these functions?

I am thinking of getting a modem without router capability for the phone. Can this be done cheaply or will it cause a separate connection fee from Xfinity?

Frequent Visitor

Re: separate modems for voice and internet/cable

I am doing exactly what you mentioned.  Yes, you can use both.  What you will want to do is first put the current Comcast modem into 'bridge' mode.  You can find that info by searching the Internet.  It will require you to access the settings of your current router.  Next, you can remove the xfinity hotspot, if you would like.  You will be completely disabling the wifi and routing capabilities on your Comcast modem.  Remove the Comcast modem from your cable.  Next, install the new modem on the cable.  Hard-wire a PC directly to the modem and access http://www.xfinity.com/activate.  Here, you can provision your new modem by logging in with your Comcast id.  Once you are connected and its working, you can reconnect your Comcast modem to a cable connection.  You can restart the modem and your phone line should be working.  Finally, you will want to connect your new router to the modem.  Remember, whichever device is the 'first' connection will need to be your router that can assign IP addresses and that type of thing.  Test the router by using a network cable and then you can check the Wifi.

As far as purchasing your own telephony modem.  It's not easy.  The Arris modem that Comcast rents is available at Best Buy for around $200.  It's excessive and will take some time to recoup the cost vs renting (but will eventually pay off).  You will also want to hang onto the modem for a little while until you are sure the new modem/router is working.  If you plan on purchasing one online, be careful.  Some are stolen or no longer servicable and may not activate.

One other thing to remember... the further away your modem is from the 'street' connection, the more signal loss you will experience.  So, you may find that performance is slower depending on how far away you are from the street.  My advice, use one split from the street... one to the cable modem and one to the rest of your house.  If you have a booster, Comcast should be able to provide you with one that has a filter for the VOIP.

Diamond Problem Solver

Make sure to let them know at 1-800comcast that you want the existing device provisioned for phone service only and the new cable modem provisioned for internet / data service.

Frequent Visitor

Apologies in advance for reviving a year-old thread.  I have Comcast Triple Play - basic cable package for TV, blast internet, and xfinity voice.  I'm currently paying for a Comcast voice and data modem, model AR TG862G.  I have the wifi disabled (using my own router and wireless access points).  I also have the xfinity wifi hotspot disabled.  I already have (not using) an Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem, DOCSIS 3.0, model TM822G, that I want to use for the xfinity voice / telephone.  I want to purchase my own (to avoid paying monthly rent) Motorola MB8600 to use for my high-speed / blast internet and TV, but I'm unsure of the exact configuration of how to plug in and use two separate cable modems in this manner.

I am by no means knowledgeable when it comes to setting up or provisioning Comcast equipment.  Probably I know just enough to be dangerous.  Can you provide more detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to replace my current rented Comcast voice and data modem, with the two specific modems I've described above (one strictly for xfinity voice services, the other for high-speed internet data and TV)?  I have read through your prior posting from 2016 but was hoping for a step-by-step tutorial for us less than savvy folks.  Both of the modems can be in the same location, since my router and multiple wifi access points handle IP addresses via DHCP.  I absolutely do not want either of the modems to have any router capabilities, and I absolutely do not want an xfinity wifi hotspot broadcasting from my home.  I'm planning to upgrade my Comcast TV service to HD but wanted to get the modem issues squared away first.  Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Diamond Problem Solver

Standard speil first;

FWIW, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply!  Maybe it will help if I clarify what I'm asking:

1.  Is it technically possible (franchise concerns aside; realizing it may not be allowed in my local market, but is it actually technically possible) to have a separate modem just to handle the telephone/voice, and a separate modem to handle data/high-speed internet?  (I'll check with the local Comcast franchise to see if it's allowed; but I would love to have the tech side squared away so I at least know what could be done, just not allowed by Comcast's decidedly customer-unfriendly policies)

2.  If it is technically possible, what is the connection procedure (i.e. the main coax cable in, connects to splitter, connects via coax to each modem, telephone in to telephony modem, etc.)?  Hoping for specific info.

3.  The model numbers I mentioned in my initial post would be the devices I'd be hoping to use.

4.  What would be the modem validation/activation procedure with Comcast so that I could continue to use my Comcast-supplied telephone, and my Blast internet?

Again - thanks for the quick reply - appreciate any info you can offer!

Expert

1. It is technically possible.
2. The way you just said it should work just fine.
4. I typically call them and tell them that I want to have one modem for internet and one for voice and then I give them the MAC Address for the internet one and tell them internet only on that one and then I give them the MAC address of the one I want to use for voice and tell them I want to use voice only on that one. It’s pretty much what EG said earlier. The only reason I call something like that in is because most times, if not all times, online activation will get confused when a second modem comes into play.
Diamond Problem Solver

I have never needed any reinforcement from anyone.... "Technically", and what they actually *allow* can be two very different things...

Frequent Visitor

Jweaver --> Got it.  Thanks for the info and reply!  I'll see what happens with  my local Comcast folks.

For EG - thanks as well for your input - very much appreciated!

Diamond Problem Solver