Community Forum

rj45 splitter

New Poster

rj45 splitter

So i have 2 rj45 splitters so i dont have to run 2 wires to one place just 2 wire but everytime i set them up and have eberything ready my router just dies and all my connections go offline, can i not use rj45 splitter so does it have to be a certain one i can use for my router?  

Problem Solver

Re: rj45 splitter

What kind of rj45 splitter is it? Is the splitter before the router or coming out of the router?  What is at the end of the two connections you're trying to establish?  Maybe you need a mini-hub or a ethernet switch?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Silver Problem Solver

What do you mean by a splitter? If you want to connect two or more devices to a single Ethernet port (due to limits or just running one cable to a remote room), you need to use an Ethernet Switch. The smallest is typically a 5 port (one for the incoming, and then 4 extra devices can connect.)

New Poster

61mV2dLDCgL._SL1500_.jpg

I am just trying to plug in 2 ethernet cords in one then travel that one cord to a room in my house then use another splitter to divide the 2 ports again for 2 computers, Does that not work?

Problem Solver

Don't think that'll work. 

What are the two ethernet cables coming out of?  Maybe you could use ONE cable out of one of that device's ports and run to a hub/switch or https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=rj45+splitter&&adid=22222222224426695942&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&w...  or similar device?

Do your router have WiFi?  Is that not an option instead of ethernet cables?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
New Poster

theres 2 coming from my router then theres 2 continuing from a slpitter at the end 

New Poster

im just trying to make it less of a hassel to have to run 2 50ft cables around my house from my router to 2 computer.

Silver Problem Solver

You cannot connect two computers to a single cable.  Instead, you can run ONE cable to somewhere near the two computers, get a simple Ethernet switch, and then connect the two computers to that.

Here is a cheap one:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B00QR6XFHQ