Community Forum

restrict devices at night

New Poster

restrict devices at night

Is there a way with xfinity to restrict wireless internet access to specific devices during specific hours?

Problem Solver

Re: restrict devices at night

If you have a Comcast Gateway you can restrict access to specifc device. For example with a Comcast Arris TG862G Gateway you can use Parental Control.

Log onto Gateway

Select Parental Control

Select Managed Devices

Set Managed Devices: Enabled

Set Access Type: Allow All

Now all devices are allowed except the ones you decide to restrict.

There should be list of devices identified by Computer Name and MAC Address

If you see the Computer Name on the list you want to restrict select the EDIT button for it

If you DO NOT see the Computer Name on the list select ADD BLOCKED DEVICE, check Custom Device, enter Computer Name and MAC Address for device

Now you are ready to set the restrictions

Set Always Block: No

Set Block Time Start from and  End on (12:00AM through 11:59PM)

Set Block Days (Select one or more days Monday through Sunday)

Select SAVE button

Restrictions:

* You can only have one time period for each device

* The start time must be before the end time

* The time period cannot span more than one day.

Valid Times

12:00 AM to 06:00 AM

11:00 AM to 08:00 PM

10:00 PM to 11:59 PM

Invalid times:

02:00 PM to 10:00 AM (start time before end time)

10:00 PM to 06:00 AM (start time before end time)

10:00 PM to 12:00 AM (start time before end time)

New Poster

So this doesn't really do much if you want to block a child from 9PM one night to 6AM the next day, or if you want to have a different range for the non-school nights.  Bummer, as my CiscoLinksys router did do what I described, but I cannot seem to be able to chain these together properly as I have done many times in the past with other modems.  

Diamond Problem Solver

a2hart wrote:

So this doesn't really do much if you want to block a child from 9PM one night to 6AM the next day, or if you want to have a different range for the non-school nights.  Bummer, as my CiscoLinksys router did do what I described, but I cannot seem to be able to chain these together properly as I have done many times in the past with other modems.  

If you want to hang your router off of the combo modem / router CC gateway device you should call in or live chat and ask a rep to put the gateway in to FULL bridge mode so that it acts only as a straight cable modem.

New Poster

I think you can just hang the cisco router off the enet and use it as your wireless access, turn off the wireless in the SMC router.

I had the exact same issue and there dosnt seem to be any other way around the deficiancy in the SMC router.

New Poster

Thanks.  I will do that.  I'm now in my 4th week and this wireless router modem is definitely not up to par with my Cisco/Linksys.  Plus, my router has a USB port for using an external drive as a poor man's NAS, so I really would like to employ that for media serving.

Thanks again.