Community Forum

real ip address for use with Minecraft

New Poster

real ip address for use with Minecraft

Hello.

I've done tech-support for several years and just have a simple question. My friends/family wish to play Minecraft and most of us have Comcast Xfinity ISP. We all would like to run Minecraft servers at some point. The 'sub-network' IPV4 address we see on our machines are similar to 10.0.0.x. I've tried to port-forward and it only works on the local network.This would suggest we are being assigned an IP address for our home networks instead of an actual IP address (such as 192.168.x.x). Is there a way to get a real IP address so that our kids can play Minecraft with each other on their own servers? It can be a dynamic IP address, as long as it's a real one (IPV6 won't work). If not, we'll have to switch IPs, and that's not what I really ant to do, as I've been a Comcast member for many years. Please respond with the best option, and even if the answer isn't a good one, I appreciate your assistance in advance. 

Expert

Re: real ip address for use with Minecraft

192.xxx addresses are private / non routable LAN IP addresses that you get when being behind a NAT router. There is nothing that is real about 192.xxx as is a 10.0.xxx address. They are both private IP addresses that get assiged from a local LAN / NAT router.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

My issue is that when we start a minecraft server while connected to our Xfinity network, others joining from outside the household can't find the server to join the game unless they are already connected to the home network, which they can't be from other cities. When I port-forward using the website the 10.0.0.x address is forwarded. The message 'make sure the device you're port forwarding to is connected to the home network or it may not work'. Customer service has basically told me now that I would have to upgrade to a business account with Xfinity to get a static IP, which is apparently why creating one in Windows 10 isn't workingSmiley Sad It's a bit surprising but I may just switch to another ISP. I still do appreciate your post, and anyone who has an idea of what might work.

Contributor

I believe you use DMZ mode, that would let your computer be accessed by the outside internet, so others could connect to the real IP, or i think you could use port forwarding, the real IP rarely changes, i had the same IP for over a year before, your real IP can be found in the admin control panel. You would have to set the DMZ mode or port forward in the router/gateway from the admin page     Under connection Xfinity network, WAN IP Address (IPv4 will have your real IP

Expert

Bear in mind that using a DMZ poses a security risk;

@bfc3 

https://www.google.com/search?q=dmz+security+risk&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=dmz&aqs=chrome.1.69i57...

Port forwarding also does, but to a lesser extent and is preferable;

https://www.google.com/search?q=dmz+security+risk&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=dmz&aqs=chrome.1.69i57...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!