Community Forum

random "micro disconnects"?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

random "micro disconnects"?

So, I asked this on the reddit but got no response i'll just try on here now.

Okay so the best way i can describe this problem are "mirco disconnects" ( or atleast what I think might be happening). This started about 1.5 weeks ago. I notice it when im playing online games.

Whenever I play Overwatch with friends. I randomly get this issue where my connection drops from the game. But it does not fully disconnect and kick me out of the game. It seems to disconnect for just enough time for my screen to go black for like 5-10 seconds and then I am thrust back into the game. Sometimes it does a full disconnect and I have to fully rejoin. Its worse some days more than others, for example, yesterday this issue got so bad during a 10 minute match in the game that I was having the disconnect every 30 seconds to 1 min.

Another symptom I notice is that I use discord to talk to friends while I game, and sometimes when that disonnect happens in game. my discord goes haywire and everyone stops talking for a good 30-40 seconds. I am not disconnected from the app but I cant here them and they cant here me.

I have provided a screenshot of my downstream/upstream and error readings. I don't know how to read them fully but I am pretty sure that uncorrectable error reading may be pretty high.

If more info is needed from the other channels just let me know and I will scroll over and cap those as well.

downstream upstream error.png
Highlighted
Expert

Re: random "micro disconnects"?

The upstream power is borderline / on the high side and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects and spontaneous re-booting of the modem. In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: random "micro disconnects"?

okay I will be checking all of those. As far as splitters (that I can see) I have this one that my tech put on when I moved into the home a few years ago now:

Can you run internet and over-the-air TV through the same cable ...600 × 450

I have done all those steps as well. I used some pliars to tighten hard and snug, I'll try cleaning and re-assembling. Also, do you think the issue could be lying in my lan switch? This is also a few years old, but I have a new one I got for the living room setup, I can swap them out if you think that might possible fix it?

I am also wondering, are there any network monitoring tools you could recommend to test this issue out as well? Just because having to rely on other software going haywire at random times to see if the issue is fixed is a little annoying and not too reliable.