Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

"Noise" on line caused Comcast to put filter on my connection, yet wiring in house is new

New Poster

"Noise" on line caused Comcast to put filter on my connection, yet wiring in house is new

Hello. I rent from a guy that just had his entire townhome gutted and redone in 2005. New wiring was put in at that time.

Fast forward to about a month ago and my wired and wireless connection is being spotty. I think it's just Christmas time surge in traffic, but I have Comcast come out. The rep takes a look, hooks up a magic thingy to my wall, and says that he thinks there's a physical filter on the connection coming into the house because my wiring is creating "noise" for neighbors. So, they downshift our speed to ensure neighbors keep their speed.

Is this even legal? Why were we, or the owner of the house, not told? Also, the wiring is only a little more than a decade old, so I don't see how wiring could have gotten frayed so far.

Do I now battle the landlord? What happens if the rep was simply throwing out a guess at the problem, and it's not the wiring in my walls?

Regular Contributor

Re: "Noise" on line caused Comcast to put filter on my connection, yet wiring in house is

Sounds a bit odd.  Filters haven't been used on coax since they migrated to digital signals that have a 2-way path.  So, there's probably something more to this than that excuse.  It might help to know which device you have hooked up to the line and grab some diagnostic info from logging into it.

Official Employee

Re: "Noise" on line caused Comcast to put filter on my connection, yet wiring in house is

It’s legitimate. The filter is called a high pass filter placed by the maintainance team if there’s noise/interference coming out of your house that could affect the outside plant and/or your neighbors. There’s 2 types, one that knocks out all channels forcing you to call in and getting it fixed, the other knocks out 2 upstream channels allowing you to keep service active until it gets fixed (that’s what you have).

A lot can happen to cable in 13 years. Hopefully your landlord didn’t go the cheap route when it was wired but it has to get fixed.
Expert

mrumppe wrote:

Sounds a bit odd.  Filters haven't been used on coax since they migrated to digital signals that have a 2-way path.  So, there's probably something more to this than that excuse.  It might help to know which device you have hooked up to the line and grab some diagnostic info from logging into it.

Wrong..... Pal you have been posting some completely wrong and some shaky information ever since you got here.... I have been rebutting, challenging, and correcting you but you never rebut or defend your assertions.... Please stop posting incorrect info if you don't know the correct answers, thank you.