Community Forum

"New and Improved" Comcast Wireless Modem causing problems

Contributor

"New and Improved" Comcast Wireless Modem causing problems

Three days ago the Comcast technician installed the new Xfinity Wireless Modem and in three days I have had more connection problems that I had in the last three years.  I tried to read some of the messages about the problems on here, but I am NOT a technician and don't understand some of the explanations. 

All I know is that my connection frequently says "limited" but in actuality it's non-existent and I can't connect to anything. When the technician was here he also installed a cable and told me when I have my laptop at my desk I can use that cable for "better" speed. Right now that's the ONLY way I can get a connection. Wasn't this supposed to be "wireless"? I use my laptop all over the house.

Does anybody have a simple explanation for this before I get on the phone with Comcast (one of my most unfavorite experiences)?  Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: "New and Improved" Comcast Wireless Modem causing problems

Lots of info here on Comcast wireless gateways:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/Wireless-Gateway/

Hopefully something there will help. Smiley Happy

Contributor

With all due respect, your response isn't very helpful.  I should spend my entire day reading and trying to figure out what the problem is, so I can try to fix something that Comcast broke?  I don't even know where to start.  Thanks anyway.

Silver Problem Solver

Up to you, personally, I'd take the time to "read the instructions" There's more to home networking than just plugging it in, but good luck! Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

Can you tell us the model number of the newly installed Comcast device?
Contributor

Model: TG862G/CT

P/N: TG02DH7862CT

I should tell you that the other day I did find instructions on how to re-set the modem.  I did that but continued to have problems for the rest of that day. I was ready to call Comcast the next morning but decided to see how it went. So yesterday and today I have not had any problems with limited service or connectivity.  I don't know if I fixed it or what, but so far so good.  Does that make sense?  Thanks for responding.

Diamond Problem Solver

If your near a Comcast service center take the 862 in and ask for a XB3 gateway.  The 862's have a long history of poor wifi, the XB3's seem to have better performance and are dual band.

If they give you grief, explain the wifi situation.

You can find your local Comcast office at this link.

http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

In the mean time, you can try to change the wifi channel on the gateway from auto to 1,6 or 11.  With your browser go to http://10.0.0.1 and use admin for the logon and password for the password.  Look for the wifi section, there you will find spot to change the channel which is probably set on auto.  Gateway / connection / wifi

See page 17 of the manual.  http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811....

Contributor

Thank you for all of that information and advice.  I will follow through with fresh eyes in the morning.  Thanks again!

Contributor

Sorry to have disappeared for a while from this post.  Life intervenes.  I am still having limited connectivity, although not as frequent.  I did call Comcast once and he apparently fiddled with something and said everything's ok now.  Well, of course it's not.

I did do the resetting recommended.  I have NOT taken the modem in to the local office for two reasons: one, it's totally intimidating for this 72-year-old lady to walk in there and pretend like I know what I'm talking about.  Secondly, I still resent going through all of that to possibly fix a problem that Comcast created in the first place.  If you are right that I was given inferior equipment and if that was known, WHY?  And I can't help but feel that they knew something was up in the first place when they added the wired cable to my setup. I have to revert to that too frequently and it's inconvenient for me.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can call and speak to someone in the United States at least, if not in my state or in my area?  I know they're connected and all, but I don't see how someone in Colombia (my last call) can relate to what I am going through (even if I can understand them).  And I'm sure I'm not the only one who can call Comcast with the same problem four times and get four different answers.  I spoke to another internet supplier the other day and, much as I hate to go through all that, I'm seriously considering switching at least my internet service.  Too many hassles with Comcast, not enough competent help.  My rant for the day.  Sorry. 

Sincere thanks to those of you who have tried to help. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Since this is a user to user community forum, we have no way to know if your 20 or 90 or your technical skills.  Perhaps a call back to Comcast and insist on a tech visit to help you.

Issues like this can't be fixed remotely or by a forum.  There is not one magic fix, it can be a half dozen things.  You really need some involvement by someone that is in your home and can test your RF signals, your speeds and your wifi coverage, either by Comcast or your computer guy that makes house calls.  This is fixable with the right people.  The determination needs to narrow down the issue between Comcast's service, the gateway, or somewhat possible the computer's the problem.

Good luck

Contributor

Thank you for your reasonable response.  I consider myself to be computer literate, but I'm not a technician. That's why I paid Comcast to install the wireless system and I believed it when they told me it would provide superior service. It's very frustrating to have Comcast replace the modem I previously paid to have installed that was working just fine to now have these ongoing problems.

I had already planned to call Comcast tomorrow and request a technician visit.  Thanks again.

Diamond Problem Solver

Like I said earlier, the 862's don't have the best wifi performance, and replacing it with a XB3 model should get you better wifi.

No Comcast gateway's give superior service in my opinion.  I install a lot of 3rd party high quality dual band routers because of issues similar to this.

Frequent Visitor

I have had Comcast cable internet service for many years. A few years back I added their "Voice" home phone service as well. When upgrading to the "Blast" speed level, Comcast provided me with the Arris TM822G DOSCIS 3.0 compliant modem, with which I was routinely getting +/- 95 Mbps with an occasional slow down to 35 or 40 Mbps. No problems; this range of speeds adequate for streaming even ultra hi def video.

About 2-1/2 weeks ago I added Comcast's X1 TV service for two TVs. The installation tech "upgraded" the Arris TM822G modem with an Arris TG1682 "Wireless Gateway" modem which, at the time, I did not realize included a router function (I have my own router). This tech also noted that when splitting the incoming cable from one to three outlets for the additional two TVs, the cable's signal strength was marginal. He replaced the cables under the house from the home's cable entry point and called for near future replacement of the +/- 30 year old cable from my street's distribution box to my home. Although paying for a 150 Mbps internet speed, I was still getting +/- 95 Mbps, but for the next couple days I was routinely  losing all internet service until I re-powered the "Wireless Gateway". Then realizing that this modem also acted as a router, I called Comcast Customer Service and had them disable the modem's router function, which they did. The modem's two wi fi indicator lights went out and my internet service stabilized, again at 95 Mbps.

A couple days after that, the Comcast contractor completed replacement of the coax cable from the street's distribution box to my home. My internet speed immediately dropped from 95 Mbps to around 25 Mbps, dropping to 9 Mbps that evening. I also noted that the modem's two wi fi indicator lights were now blinking. I accessed the modem's settings and noted the "Bridge" was still enabled which should have disabled the modem's router function. Next few days, +/- 95 Mbps in early AM but gradually dropping to +/- 9 Mbps by evening. I blamed the new cable run but encountered some non-user friendly service from Comcast Customer Service in this regard. Please note that all of my speed testing up to this point was done with my desktop PC hard wired to my own router. So, as a test, I hard wired my PC directly to the modem and again ran the speed test; 150 Mbps!; problem not the Comcast cable. I disabled the modem's Bridge and used a "Wireless Gateway" quicky network with hard wire from my PC and almost 175 Mbps! Problem must be with my router, right? So, lots of testing including use of the Comcast "Wireless Gateway" as a replacement for my own router for my home networking. Didn't work out, so more testing including multi rebooting my router, the "Wireless Gateway" and PC. Eventually I accessed the "Gateway Modem" settings and again enabled the Bridge to disable the router function. This time the two wi fi indicator lights went out and for the past week I have had a very steady 95 Mbps speed with very little deviation.

Bottom line -- Comcast's "Wireless Gateway" has been a significant problem. I do not know whether or not it is the cause of my router's spitting out 95 Mbps instead of 150 Mbps but at this point don't care. Don't know why connection of the new cable caused the "Wireless Gateway" to go back to a disabled Bridge (even though the setting read otherwise) and caused very erratic internet speeds through my router. My advice to anybody having their own router is that if you are upgrading Comcast service that you advise that you do NOT want their "Wireless Gateway" device. They can provide another DOSCIS 3.0 modem with or without the telephony function.

Contributor

I called Comcast this morning and received absolutely no pushback about having a technician come out.  They are even going to issue a partial credit to my account for what I paid.  They are coming out on Thursday and ironically I didn't even have to mention the different modem - she offered the information that they will bring an XB3 box in case that's the problem! 

Wish all my contacts with Comcast were as pleasant.  Keeping my fingers crossed that they can figure out what the issue is.  And thanks again for your feedback. 

Contributor

Anon434141, I won't pretend that I understood everything you said you went through. And at the risk of sounding like a cranky old lady, I don't think I should have to.  I still feel that's what I pay Comcast for and as their customers we shouldn't have to be solving their problems for them, as you have done.

I understood your last paragraph completely, however, and just wish that I had known all of this before I went ahead and had them do the installation.  They are coming out this week, and I hope they solve this problem for me.  Thanks for your detailed response.  

Regular Contributor

I would have a seperate modem and router exept I have the triple play which involves a phone; that mans I need the gateway.

Should I bridge the gatway and use my own router; or is that not necessary and trust thir router?

Diamond Problem Solver

Year old marked "solved" dead thread now being closed. Please create your own new topic here detailing your issue if you wish.