Community Forum

"Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet"

New Poster

"Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet"

HI folks -- having a heck of a time figuring this out. I am using XFinity as our ISP and connecting the modem in  bridge mode to an Orbi mesh setup. It works just fine, but because of the house layout, where the Mac is located doesn't have speeds nearly as fast as elsewhere in the house (40 mbps or so down here, while showing 140 elsewhere in the house). So I would like to just connect it to the modem via ethernet for the Mac. I get the error in the title

"Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

And no amount of rebooting the modem or the Mac gets it to generate a usable IP i guess. I'm using port 2 on the Xfinity modem for the Mac, and port 1 is for the Orbi. Just wondering if there are any thoughts from folks who know this stuff well. The support person was not able to help me other than offering to send out a tech for $70+ service call since "nothing is broken as far as Comcast equipment".

I could turn off bridge mode and set it up directly, and maybe that would work, but then we have no router for our many devices Smiley Happy I am wondering if I should do that and write down the IP it finds from that process, and then manually type that in once back in bridge mode? But I am not confident that will work ..

Thanks for any thoughts ...

Expert

Re: "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet&qu

When the gateway is in bridge mode, only port number 1 is active.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet&qu

Keep your setup as is, and plug the ethernet cable into the Orbi base station (It should have at least one extra port marked Ethernet) rather than into the Xfinity Gateway. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet&am

Wow. thanks for this info, super helpful!