Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

purchasing personal modem for Comcast bundle (voice/internet)

New Poster

purchasing personal modem for Comcast bundle (voice/internet)

I am considering purchasing my own modem to ditch the monthly rental fee from Comcast.  is there a modem recommendation forum users have that is compatible with BOTH internet and voice from Comcast and is Docsisi 3.1, plus has the built in wifi channels?  I have looked at several modems and all say that a seperate wifi device is required.  Am I stuck with the Comcast router/modem option or is there a choice out there?

thanks, Maury Parrish

Silver Problem Solver

Re: purchasing personal modem for Comcast bundle (voice/internet)

Currently there are no voice capable retail D3.1 modems..You can see what's available here:

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

When the XB6 phone capable D3.1 rental device came out they were said to be also bringing out a retail version, but no sign of that yet.

Expert

wrote:

I am considering purchasing my own modem to ditch the monthly rental fee from Comcast.  is there a modem recommendation forum users have that is compatible with BOTH internet and voice from Comcast and is Docsisi 3.1, plus has the built in wifi channels?  I have looked at several modems and all say that a seperate wifi device is required.  Am I stuck with the Comcast router/modem option or is there a choice out there?

thanks, Maury Parrish

I am planning on purchasing a 3.1 modem and an eMTA device.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem...

Problem Solver

@ wrote:

thanks, Maury Parrish

You're better off getting the components separately at this time - the DOCSIS 3.1 Netgear CM1000 is on sale for $146, the Google OnHub AC1900 for $110, and you can pick up a cheapo, older voice modem off Amazon for about $40. (I have an Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 modem, ASUS RT-AC68P router and an Arris TM722G voice modem and I'm way happier with them than the TG3482G/XB6-A gateway I was leasing from Comcast). 

Otherwise, the closest you'll get right now to a standalone DOCSIS 3.1 gateway is the Netgear C7800 modem/router, which retails for $400

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Regular Visitor

I currently have an Arris TM722G voice modem connected to an Asus wifi router. I wanted to upgrade to Docsisi 3.1 modem and upgrade to an AC router for better wifi coverage in my home. I wanted to understand how Darkangelic connected his TM722 with another modem and router. What connects to what? I'm new at this so I appreciate the help.

Expert

You use a two way coax cable splitter to connect both the internet cable modem and the phone modem to a Comcast feed / coax cable wall jack. Then you call Comcast and tell the rep that you want the phone modem provisioned for phone service only and the internet modem provisoned for data service.
Problem Solver

@Japappas1616 wrote:

I currently have an Arris TM722G voice modem connected to an Asus wifi router. I wanted to upgrade to Docsisi 3.1 modem and upgrade to an AC router for better wifi coverage in my home. I wanted to understand how Darkangelic connected his TM722 with another modem and router. What connects to what? I'm new at this so I appreciate the help.

EG is correct, though in my case, I connected the TM722 to a live cable in a different room altogether to avoid use of a splitter, along with the cordless phone base. ( Plus I have two satellite handsets around the house). 

The SB8200 is now my primary internet modem, connected to my (new) ASUS RT-AC88U router.

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman