Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

public hotspot/xfinitywifi turns back on / is it even useful

Regular Contributor

public hotspot/xfinitywifi turns back on / is it even useful

So why does it keep turning back on after I disable it? Was told the only way it could be re-enabled is if I reset the modem and I did not do that. And I was told anything that connects to it does not count towards data usage. I was not able to stream video so I asked and said it is mainly used for communication. So what does that mean. Should it be able to stream and game on? If so and it does not count towards data use, then we all should be using it to stream Very strange all in all.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: public hotspot/xfinitywifi turns back on / is it even useful

Complaints about the hotspot turning itself back on have been around for a long time.  I don't know that there is a solution to the problem. 

Anyhow, it's correct that hotspot usage does not count against your data consumption. The bandwidth is limited with the hotspot, but you could utilize it to reduce your data consumption if you are okay with a slower connection. 

You have to log into the hotspot with a user/pass, so some devices won't be able to use the connection. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.

All Replies
Expert

Re: public hotspot/xfinitywifi turns back on / is it even useful

Complaints about the hotspot turning itself back on have been around for a long time.  I don't know that there is a solution to the problem. 

Anyhow, it's correct that hotspot usage does not count against your data consumption. The bandwidth is limited with the hotspot, but you could utilize it to reduce your data consumption if you are okay with a slower connection. 

You have to log into the hotspot with a user/pass, so some devices won't be able to use the connection. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.