Community Forum

# of download and upload channels does comcast support for blast 50/modem suggetion

Regular Contributor

# of download and upload channels does comcast support for blast 50/modem suggetion

I'm looking to get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem for my area in naples fl 34104.

Currently the only speed available for the internet that comcast offers is 50 MB down . I would get a faster package if available , but I don't think they are planning in offering anything faster anytime soon, at least not till Google Fiber goes nationwide (fingers crossed).

So my questions are,

1. How many upload and download channels does comcast provide with the 50 blast service in my area?

2. Are there any near future upgrades for internet speeds in my area?

3. Best or recommendations for DOCSIS 3.0 modems to cover at least 50blast package?

4. since comcast only offers 50MB blast package in my area and no mention of upgrade in the future is their any benefits of getting the $129.99 ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - (SB6183) to take advantage of the 16 download & 4 upload channels ?

Or will I get the same benefits from the $69.9 ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0

4 downstream and 4 upstream modem?

BTW I don't need voice,gateway or anything else but internet. I plan to get the modem with the asus RT-AC68U

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: # of download and upload channels does comcast support for blast 50/modem suggeti

Your speed tier has nothing to do with channel bonding. That said the amount of channels available depends on your market most have at least 8 downstream channels but there are some areas that only have 4 and some have 16. I think comcast is trying to upgrade the entire country to 16 but that will take some time. 

Official Employee

Re: # of download and upload channels does comcast support for blast 50/modem suggeti

That is correct, PM me your CM MAC address of the modem and I can tell if your CMTS is set for 16DS or not.

-Chirag

Regular Contributor

Ok thanks , i wasn't sure if they were restricting or only upgradeing in certain markets with faster services.

Regular Contributor

Great thanks for the help. I just sent you a message.

Official Employee

Unfortunately, your CMTS is not set for 16DS at this time.

-Chirag

Regular Contributor

Ok , do you know whats the max available is now or possible future ugrade dates?

I'm trying ot determine if I should use my old sb6121 or upgrade to the SB6183 or Zoom 5341 depending on the channels available.

Official Employee

Your CMTS is set for 8DS. I cannot say when it will be upgraded as it depends on the market and how are they scheduling to upgrade.

-Chirag

Regular Contributor

Great thanks again, you answered my question in regards the worth of upgrading from a sb6121 4 DS channels to a newer modem.

The zoom 5341J has 8x4 capabilities for $100bucks while the SB6183 with 16x4 capabilities is listed at $129. I;m thinking for $29 it might be worth getting the SB6183 unless Zoom modems are much better than the SB.

Also will I see a big difference going from 4DS to 8DS in speeds and reliability?

Thanks again

Official Employee

It is always good to bond on more DS channels. But to really see the difference, it also depends on what type of speedtier you are on.

Regular Contributor

I'm on the 50MB blast tier. Which I think is the fastest tier available for my area, is that correct?

So will I see a benefit than going to a new 8+DS channel?

Bronze Problem Solver

alfnator wrote:

Great thanks again, you answered my question in regards the worth of upgrading from a sb6121 4 DS channels to a newer modem.

The zoom 5341J has 8x4 capabilities for $100bucks while the SB6183 with 16x4 capabilities is listed at $129. I;m thinking for $29 it might be worth getting the SB6183 unless Zoom modems are much better than the SB.

Also will I see a big difference going from 4DS to 8DS in speeds and reliability?

Thanks again

In my opinion if money is not a issue it's always better to future proof. Also keep in mind Docsis 3.1 is on the horizon as well. I have used the Zoom 5341J and the Moto SB-6141 and they are both good 8x4 modems and can handle just about any speed comcast has right now. The SB-6183 has good reviews also if you want to spend the extra coin the choice is really yours. 

Diamond Problem Solver

ComcastChirag-K wrote:

It is always good to bond on more DS channels. But to really see the difference, it also depends on what type of speedtier you are on.

And on the amount of local cable segment congestion.

Problem Solver

alfnator wrote:

Thanks again

Actually the 5341J is only $70.  I just purchased the Netgear CM500 for only $100 since I found out my area does have 16 channels thanks to email.  I asked him and he verified I'm on 16.