Community Forum

not getting 250 Mbps as paying for

New Poster

not getting 250 Mbps as paying for

Upgraded to 250 Mbps about a month ago.  On Speedtest.net I am getting 29 Mbps to 303 Mbps.  I get 250+ Mbps about 50% and about 50 Mbps 50% ot the time.  On Speedtest.xfinity.com I get from 40 Mbps to 217 Mbps  (nothing 250+).  On speedeast.net I am showing 294 Mbps to 296 Mbps every time.  Strange.  I have had two techs out and could not find anything wrong.  Said it must be the speed website problem.

Anyone else having this problem?  I do not know which test is correct.

Expert

Re: not getting 250 Mbps as paying for

Your speed test results will vary depending on how close the test server is to you, how fat the pipe is for the bandwidth, and how busy the internet traffic is along the pathway at any given time. 

I have gigabit, and oftentimes I'll hit as low as 500 or so during peak hours, or if I connect to a server in Los Angeles, San Diego or Salt Lake City (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area). 

You're doing the right thing by testing your speed with different providers and testing companies. Since you seem to be hitting the mark on a few of the tests, you definitely have the right setup for your speed tier. If there was something wrong with your network, you'd never hit that speed at all. 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

The server goes to "Comcast-Houston,TX" and "Katy Texas"  Get same slow results from both.  Speakeasy goes to Chicago, Atlanta, Washington DC, New York.

New Poster

I am just outside of Houston city limits.

7:08AM Speedtest.net   47.75 (Houston,Tx) download, 11.99 upload

Speedtest.xfinity,com  192.4 (Katy,Tx) 11.6

Speakeasy.net  295.8 (Atlanta, Georgia) 11.8

1:18 PM  Speedtest.net  47.66/12.01 (Houston,Tx)

Speedtest.xfinity.com 160.2/11.7  (Katy,Tx)

Speakeasy.net 296.4/11.7  (New York, NY)