Community Forum

no more file sharing with new modem

Regular Visitor

no more file sharing with new modem

Just recently had Xfinity Home security installed. When the tech came out, he also installed a new modem. Now I cannot share files and folders on a home network, which was no problem with the old modem. They sent out a tech to fix the problem who said he could not identify the problem. They sent a second tech who, after checking everything and making several calls, told me that the new modem did not support file sharing because of "security reasons'. Very frustrating as I did not even ask to have the modem replaced! Anyone else have this problem??

Expert

Re: no more file sharing with new modem

comcast gateways as far as i am aware of do not do file sharing.

Frequent Visitor

It would help if you provide the specifc make and model of the new Compcast Modem. I just updated to to the new XB6-T modem and did nto have any issues getting to my two SYNOLGY NAS's and other ocmputers for file sharing.

After changing the modem did you reboot the computers and other devices?

Silver Problem Solver

@polydogz wrote:

Just recently had Xfinity Home security installed. When the tech came out, he also installed a new modem. Now I cannot share files and folders on a home network, which was no problem with the old modem. They sent out a tech to fix the problem who said he could not identify the problem. They sent a second tech who, after checking everything and making several calls, told me that the new modem did not support file sharing because of "security reasons'. Very frustrating as I did not even ask to have the modem replaced! Anyone else have this problem??

I used to have a separate modem for my XHome system until I got a new gateway that had XHome support.  I was able to eliminate the extra equipment. 

What method are you using to do file sharing?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

It is an XB6-T. I was told by an Xfinity tech that it has file sharing disabled and the only way I could get a modem that will accommodate file sharing is to have a business account. I have decide to buy my own modem and take this one back to Comcast. 

Silver Problem Solver

What is your definition of file sharing?  NAS?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Not that sophisticated I’m afraid. I just want to be able to view and share files on my 3 home computers. Sort of like a Homegroup, although Windows 10 doesn’t have that feature anymore.

Silver Problem Solver

@polydogz wrote:

Not that sophisticated I’m afraid. I just want to be able to view and share files on my 3 home computers. Sort of like a Homegroup, although Windows 10 doesn’t have that feature anymore.

I do filesharing between two Win10 boxes and a Win8.1 box.  Did you google?

Regular Visitor

I did.