Community Forum

need router with more than 2 ports

New Poster

need router with more than 2 ports

i need modem/router with more than 2 ports

Problem Solver

Re: need router with more than 2 ports

You could always purchase our own router to daisy chain off of your Comcast supplied modem/router, OR purchase your own modem only, as well.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Silver Problem Solver

@espann wrote:

i need modem/router with more than 2 ports

I have installed an 8-port gigabit switch connected to my XB6.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07PFYM5MZ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@jav6joev wrote:

You could always purchase our own router to daisy chain off of your Comcast supplied modem/router

FWIW, If one hangs a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, they are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on the home network.
They can Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls.

They described a 2 port device which leads me to believe that they are talking about a straight cable modem lie the 8200B, and not a combo gateway or router. If that is the case, then they need to use a stand-alone router connected to one of the ports on the modem.

You really should put it in to bridge mode. Here's how;

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!