Community Forum

need help identify outside cabling/wiring

Frequent Visitor

need help identify outside cabling/wiring

I had comcast a few years ago, so I know inside wiring is good.  However, I switched to AT&T Uverse since then.  I am trying to go back to comcast, but I opted the self install.  When I looked at my cable junction outside the house, there's like 50 coax, okay maybe 12.  I can see the existing Uverse wiring.  But I can't identify what is the comcast drop in.  I can sort of tell by there's 4 cables coming from the bottom, and the rest are coming from the top.  I am 99.99% sure the top ones goes inside the house to each room.  and the 4 bottom ones are drops.  However, some of the bottom ones have their connectors cut off, and some have connectors.  I tried one of them and it didn't work, what's an easy way to identify which one is the right one?  

The one I tried, I let it sit for 10 min but the modem never got a signal.  Techsupport says they can't see my modem likely due to cabling.  

Will they come out for free to cable outside wiring?

Official Employee

Re: need help identify outside cabling/wiring

No they wont come out for free. Couple questions , are you sure you have a live comcast signal? Did you change the splitter out from att? If you are putting equipment in same room as att stick to the cables that are connected.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

tl2013 wrote:

I tried one of them and it didn't work, what's an easy way to identify which one is the right one?  

If you have an underground drop, it will be the one filled with goo. You can snip about an inch off each cable and see which one oozes. Unless you have the right tools on hand, getting a connector on that cable can be a challenge. It should also be the only one connected to a groundblock.

You'll probably just want to have a tech come out and get you connected. They have the right tools and if you haven't had Comcast in awhile, your cable is probably physically disconnected.

1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

- at&t uverse is DSL phone line converted into cable. 

- I have 2 cables per room, I left the live feed on uverse on cable port 1, and tried to set up my comcast modem on to cable port 2. 

- I did see a RG9 cable that is grounded, I thought that would be the one also, but it didn't sync my modem up. 

- I work in tech (enterprise computing) and I already had bought all the tools to crimp my own RG9 cable several years ago setting up FTA satellite. 

I think I will try the grounded cable again, is there a way i can read off it with a voltmeter to see if that's a live cable vs a dead one?

Official Employee

Did you actually have comcast come out and activate it at the tap? If you havent you're wasting your time

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Bronze Problem Solver

andrew.lindsay wrote:

Did you actually have comcast come out and activate it at the tap? If you havent you're wasting your time

The tap is always activated he just needs to make sure he has a drop to the house from that tap. Around here all the coax from the tap to the home is orange. 

Expert

andrew.lindsay wrote:
Did you change the splitter out from att? 

Does Uverse use coax ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Jim thats not always the case, only in the last couple of years have they left the drop attached but also if the sub is a long time att customer there might not even be a drop. Again without knowing if you have an active signal sub is going in circles.
Sorry just reread first line of original post so there should be a drop

Official Employee

EG uverse does use coax

Frequent Visitor

do you think they disconnected physically when I switched to Uverse? 

EDIT:

I sort of made the switch assuming, they wouldn't need to come out. since they sell a "self install kit" (which is total bs, i didn't need anything in the kit) 

I thought I can go back w/o paying service charge.  Otherwise I will cancel the tv combo and just go with directtv since they'll come out and do everything for free.  then I'll just ask the guy to help me identify the comcast internet cable. 

all new or return customer should be entitled to free install... i just don't get why they don't do it.

Frequent Visitor

andrew.lindsay wrote:
EG uverse does use coax

yes, but there's a box that converts DSL signal into coax.  the phone and said box are all in my "telephone" junction.  It is really my cable junction but the cover just says telephone.  the telephone junction is right next to it, and the DSL is fed from there.  anyways, this is going on a tangent.

Official Employee

Hopefully you can figure it out but I would bite the bullet and have a pro install, you have a 50/50 shot its physically hooked up

Frequent Visitor

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

tl2013 wrote:

I tried one of them and it didn't work, what's an easy way to identify which one is the right one?  

It should also be the only one connected to a groundblock.

so, I went home and connected everything backup to the one that is connected to the ground block and bam! it is working.  I had tried the same plug previous night with no luck.  So I don't know if some tech actually came out during the day and fixed whatever in between.  or the modem simply needed another disconnect/reconnect. 

the rest is no longer relevant to original topic but none the less interesting....

and the problem deepens, as after I was on the internet, I can ping names and resolve names via command line, however, I can't FTP or use HTTP to any actual web page.  after working with tech support, it magically started working.  but performance was terrible. less than 5mbps both way when i am suppose to get 50mbps. 
after long troubleshooting tech support is stumped and says wait till i get the tv receiver and continue with onsite tech. 
an hour or two later, i test speed again, i get ~48mbps down. 

I have a SBG6850.  all signal strength show very good value in GUI ever since the beginning (when speed was bad)