Community Forum

modem and router options

New Poster

modem and router options

I want to buy my own wifi router & modem.  We have to voice plan but don't even have a phone plugged in.  Do I need to select one with voice capabilties?  That limits the compatible devices significantly

Silver Problem Solver

Re: modem and router options

@nelle109 wrote:

I want to buy my own wifi router & modem.  We have to voice plan but don't even have a phone plugged in.  Do I need to select one with voice capabilties?  That limits the compatible devices significantly

You can buy a retail eMTA device to support your phone service.

I would buy my equipment from Best Buy because they have a good return policy if you have any issues.  Just My Opinion YMMV.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: modem and router options

@nelle109 wrote:

I want to buy my own wifi router & modem. 

Are you talking about an all in one gateway device or do you want separate stand-alone devices ?

We have to voice plan but don't even have a phone plugged in.  Do I need to select one with voice capabilties? 

Yes. You must have an eMTA (voice support) if you subscribe to their voice service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!