Community Forum

ipv6 slow internet

New Poster

ipv6 slow internet

Hello,

I recently enabled IPV6 on my router and I have noticed that the internet speed has dropped sagnificantly. If I disable it, the speeds are back to normal. This happens on my PC (harwired to the router) and on WI-FI as well.

I usually get about 175Mbps on IPV4 and if I enable IPV6 I get around 30-35Mbps. 

My modem is Netgear CM600 and my router is Netgear WNDR4500 N900. I am running Windows 10x64. I have updated firmware and LAN drivers, nothing seems to be helping. The minute I enable IPV6 my speed drops. 

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Regular Contributor

Re: ipv6 slow internet

Considering it's 802.11N and not 802.11AC shows it's age.  I'm running the R7800 and don't see any lag at all with v6 and in some cases it's actually faster when tracing or speed testing.  If you're running an alternate firmware there could be a bug as well.  A good test would be a direct connect to the CM600 and see if you see a similar issue.  When I upgraded to GigE I found an issue with the router I was using becoming a bottleneck at 250m vs a direct connect getting 950m+.

Authorized Vendor

@ wrote:

I usually get about 175Mbps on IPV4 and if I enable IPV6 I get around 30-35Mbps.

So are you seeing the dropped speeds on IPv4 or IPv6?   One protocol doesn't have anything to do with the other, but they can route in differnet paths..  First I would like to know if enabling IPv6 your speed test is slower on IPv4, then we will go from there..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

Yes, enabling IPV6 slows down my speeds. Also, I am hardwired tro the router and experience the same thing...Both the wired connection and the wireless exsibit the same issue.

I am not running custom firmware on my router...it is all stock and up to date.

Authorized Vendor

@ wrote:

Yes, enabling IPV6 slows down my speeds. Also, I am hardwired tro the router and experience the same thing...Both the wired connection and the wireless exsibit the same issue.

I am not running custom firmware on my router...it is all stock and up to date.

so enabling IPv6 slows down a IPv4 speed test?  Can you post a before and after please, does it show your source IP?  When you enable IPv6 the default should use IPv6 so I want to know if before it used IPv4 and after it uses IPv6..

Next question what site are you using for the speedtest?

Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

New Poster

No, IPV4 is still fast, however IPV6 speeds are up to 1/4 of the full speed. I am using the xfinity speed test, fast.com and google's speed test.

New Poster

Anyone has any suggestions?

Authorized Vendor

It doesnt make much sense that it is working like that..  IPv6 is normally just a little faster then v4..  Do you have any QoS settings turned on?  That is about the only thing that could be going it at this point..

New Poster

wrote:

It doesnt make much sense that it is working like that..  IPv6 is normally just a little faster then v4..  Do you have any QoS settings turned on?  That is about the only thing that could be going it at this point..

I find it extremely strange the way it is behaving. No QoS settings are turned on. This makes no sense to me. I even tried to completely bypass the router and I still got the same results. I do not understand what is happening. I have disabled IPV6 completely now and my speeds are solid 170+Mbps all the time. 

New Poster

I have established that the slow down must be coming from my hardwired PC to the modem/router. I have disabled IPV6 on my PC only and I get full speeds. Wi-Fi speeds are also normal now, even though IPV6 is enabled. 

I have updated my ethernet drivers, my PC is up to date also. Any idea what may be causing this on my PC? All ethernet settings are at default.

My Specs:

MB: Asus Z97 Pro
CPU: Intel Core I7 4790 (All stock clocks)
Video: EVGA GTX1080 SC @ 390.77
Memory: Hyper X 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Monitor: Dell Gaming S2716DG with Gsync 27.0"
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W
HDD: Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB; ADATA Ultimate SU800 SSD 512GB

Contributor

check on your computer if you can ping using ipv6.

Open a command prompt

type: ping  /6  www.google.com

If you get timeouts, it would indicate maybe ipv6 not fully functional.

New Poster

Tried it and it works fine...no packet loss.

New Poster

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to fix this?

New Poster

No one? Ok, I guess I will just have to disable IPV6 and move along. I am stumped!

Regular Contributor

I was hoping there would be answers here.  I tried using IPV6 as well and could never get it to work.  I gave up. There was a very helpful person here on the forums, but I did not have time to tinker and I have connections issue the pop up now and then and did not want to add things to my crazy plate.   Maybe someone will post a good how to out here.

Regular Contributor

I expect you've already done this, but . . .

Try each connecting your PC to each Ethernet port on the router?

Try changing the Ethernet cable between your PC and your router?