internet speed

New Poster

internet speed

low internet speed laptop

Silver Problem Solver

Re: internet speed

@Moves wrote:

low internet speed laptop

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-Internet-Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Not much to go on there..... We need more details !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

i get over over 700 mpbs speed with my desktop, but when hard wiring to my laptop, with the same wire,  i can only get around 90. why is that?

Expert

Does the laptop's network adapter have a 10/100/1000 (gigabit) ethernet port ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

the laptop does have an ethernet port. how do i find out it's speed rating though? it is a Toshiba, more than four years old.

And if it is limited, what options might i have?h

Expert

Look for your operating system here;

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+i+determine+the+speed+of+my+network+card&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782U...

New Poster

on the advanced tab there is no 

scroll and select "Speed & Duplex" on the list

there is a Bandwidth capability: 11b/g:20/40 mhz 

if that tells us anything.

itl is a broadcom 802.11n adapter

Expert

That's for the WiFi adapter. You need to find the ethernet adapter.

New Poster

no matter what i check off in the view tab in device manager i can not find the work ethernet or anything that related to the network other than the wi fi broadcom.

any other advice. 

I certainly can see the ethernet port as the wire is plugged into it.

New Poster

i found it: it is listed as a realtek controller and it is on auto negotiate.

in the drop down menu, the highest listed speed is 100.

so I guess? i would have to update that controller in order to get a higher speed, if such a thing is possible?

what would you recommend?

New Poster

I tried a usb to ethernet device, but it only slowed the speed even though it was rated up to 1000.

What other hardware in this laptop might need to be changed?

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @Moves

Since you have identified the hardware of the laptop is the issue, I would recommend contacting Toshiba for further assistance since we don't own the device. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.