Community Forum

internet keeps disconnecting

Contributor

internet keeps disconnecting

I am having a problem with my internet service. Every once in awhile my internet diconnects and i have to reset it. It comes back up and works for a few hours or sometimes just a few minutes and then disconnects again. Now when i reset it, it doesn't do anything and i have to physically unplug it from the cable outlet, wait a few seconds then plug it back in. Once again it works for awhile then goes out again and i have to keep unplgging it from the cable outlet in order for it to work. I have noticed that all my lights are green except for the light for the upstream level is solid yellow, could this be something? Any thoughts or ideas would be very helpful.

thanks

Gold Problem Solver

Re: internet keeps disconnecting

Bronze Problem Solver

Hello Silvafox77,

The yellow light on the upstream is a sign that the signal going to your modem may be out of spec.

A connection dropping randomly or intermittently can be caused by a wide variety of things. Typically, the issue is caused by a faulty device or the signal levels coming to the device. If the signal levels are not within a certain spec, issues with service can include no connection, connection disconnecting at random times or slow speeds. What I normally advise is that customers check the signal levels first before replacing the modem. This is because replacing the modem will not correct the issue at all. The modem may work for a short time, but if the line is experiencing a lot of interference, the issue will persist after some time or immediately.

If you are curious if the issue is caused by signal quality going to the box, there are two methods for doing so. If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you can download the Xfinity My Account app. This app is very nifty. It will show you all of your services and allow you to troubleshoot any issues you are having. The app will also tell you if the signal level going to your device is below standard and provide you with a solution (usually a technician). The app also provides other bits of information and support.

The other solution is to contact Comcast at 1-800-266-2278. The agent on the line should be able to pull the information up for you and provide an appropriate solution as well.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

thanks for the info. where do i look for my signal levels i haven't done it in awhile and am drawing a blank.

also this happened last year as well around the same time, late july early august, i dont know if that has anything to do with it but comcast sent a tech and he checked everything and it started to work just fine up until now, again late july early august.

Bronze Problem Solver

Silvafox77,

Some routers provide that data to the customer as accurately as they can. There are some programs that may be able to tell you as well, but those cna be hit or miss.

With Comcast service, either an agent or the My Account App for smartphones and tablets can tell you if your signal levels are not in spec.

If you use the app, you have to go through the troubleshooting steps. The troubleshooting steps will then tell you if your signal levels are in spec.

From my end, I can give you the details of your signal levels if you like, but I would need to provide that information to you in a private message.

Or if you call into Comcast, an agent can tell you if your signal levels are in spec.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

ok thanks for the info

Contributor

Still having problems. Been over a week now and my internet is still going out.once again is stays on for a few hours or just a few minutes the goes out again.
Bronze Problem Solver

Silvafox77,

I attempted to reach out to you via private message. Did you receive that message?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon