Community Forum

intermittent slowdown/packet loss

Frequent Visitor

intermittent slowdown/packet loss

Recently I've started getting service degradation randomly where my internet would barely work (wired connection via router, but also tried connecting directly to modem). When trying to ping google.com during this, I would see that there's packet loss.

My modem is SB6141 and my service had been fine for years. I've tried restarting the modem multiple times and the issue would still occur.

What I see on the Signal Page and Logs for my modem:

signal.pngmodem_logs.png

Frequent Visitor

Re: intermittent slowdown/packet loss

Link to the images since it didn't show up:

https://imgur.com/a/gnZcC6v

Gold Problem Solver

The signal levels and SNRs you posted look fine. Please post a link to the Error Log info as well.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry forgot to mention that the logs are part of the same link; it's the second image in that link. I could only find those logs.

Gold Problem Solver

@jccxf wrote: ... it's the second image in that link. ...

My bad, I somehow managed to miss it. Errors exist, but it isn't clear whether they are frequent enough or severe enough to constitute a problem.

Have you tried capturing signals while the problem is present?

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. Problems with Internet service are often due to poor connections between your equipment and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

If you are using Wifi it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible while measuring speed and checking the reliability of your connection to Comcast.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast do the troubleshooting, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the Internet Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Frequent Visitor

Signal when the issue is occurring:
https://imgur.com/a/sNXRtNS

A speed test shows 7Mbps down 0.08Mbps up (expected download is 75Mbps).

100 pings to google.com had 24% loss.

Gold Problem Solver

@jccxf wrote: Signal when the issue is occurring ...

Signal quality is nearly identical to the first set of readings. And bad speed test results and ping loss only say there's a problem somewhere, they don't do much to tell us what the problem is.

There are other signal quality measures that modems don't report, so I'd recommend you have arrange for a service tech visit to get this diagnosed and fixed.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I went and scheduled a tech visit.

Thanks for your help.

Gold Problem Solver

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

Frequent Visitor

Had scheduled a tech visit for Friday, but it seemed like they had fixed something on their end on Monday since I haven't had packet loss since then (so i canceled the tech visit).

Official Employee

Hello jccxf, thank you for creating a post regarding this concern. It looks like I chimed in a bit late but I am glad that your issue appears to be resolved, feel free to reach back out to me here if you notice any change in service I'd be happy to look into it for you. Have a good day. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!