Community Forum

insufficient Bandwidth

New Poster

insufficient Bandwidth

I know this issue has been discussed, but has anyone found a solution that actually works?

I'm running Comcast/Xfinity through my own Arris Surfbboard (cable modem/router, with telephony).  I continue to run into the dreaded "insufficient bandwidth" when streaming video from Amazon (at least in HD).  TV is a new LG-OLED 65" smart TV, with the Amazon app built into the remote.

I have already tried resetting the LG back to factory settings and then resetting the Amazon app at least 3 times, including with the assistance of Amazon tech support.  This has worked for a while -- or at least it seems to, but who knows given the randomness of the bandwidth message -- but then it starts in again, so I can't attribute it to any particular time of day and there so far has been NO solution that has made the problem go away permanently.

Both Amazon and Comcast say that they do not throttle bandwidth.

Amazon user boards show plenty of similar complaints involving LG smart TVs, but these complaints also include other brands.

Does ANYONE have a fool-proof fix for this infuriating issue?

Do I need to scrap the Arris cable modem/router and get a separate modem and router?

Would a home high density wireless mesh system (such as Orbi or Eero) eliminate the bandwidth problem?

Any HELP appreciated.

Thanks!

Contributor

Re: insufficient Bandwidth

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection for your TV?  In my experience wireless is pretty terrible for high-bandwidth applications such as HD streaming (SD is usually fine).  Wired would ensure a reliable high-bandwidth connection.

Have you done any speed tests to determine if you're getting good speeds to your modem?  You should do your speed tests from a device wired directly into your gateway.

If you're using wireless and can't / won't switch to wired, get a wireless optimization app to help you determine what channel to use and optimize your gateway placement to ensure a strong signal to your TV.

New Poster

Ok, how can I get a wireless optimization app?
Diamond Problem Solver

If you are talking about an app that let's you see your local WiFi environment so that you can take steps to improve it, try this popular free one;

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

New Poster

Delete recorded shows and your bandwidth problem will go away. At least it did for me.
Diamond Problem Solver

Wondering how a hard drive's overall capacity can affect real time internet streaming bandwidth / speeds ?