Community Forum

iPV4 not working iPV6 working

New Poster

iPV4 not working iPV6 working

I have spoken to support multiple times of no help. I tell them the issue and they still cannot rectify it. Please @ComcastJohnN the iPV4 savior what do I do? 

Official Employee

Re: iPV4 not working iPV6 working

There was a common problem in the past where the modem MAC address would be entered incorrectly during activation and that would break IPv4. That hasn't been a  problem since last November since our engineers found a way to detect when this occurred and fix it automatically.

Since that time, many have reached out for help with general IPv4 issues, but the root cause is almost always on the user's side. A very common culprit is Wifi extenders, extra routers, or some other network device (like an Apple Airport Extreme) that is acting as a DHCP server and handing out IPv4 addresses. In cases like that, a home device can get the wrong IPv4 addressing information, which breaks IPv4 connectivity to the internet. 

Another common, related issue is when you change what is physically connected to the modem. Any time you do that, you *must* reboot the modem for DHCP to work properly. 

Less common culprits are parental controls and web filtering. I even saw a case where someone accidentally enabled time-based parental controls, so their internet would stop working at the same time every day and they didn't know why. If you have your own router, sometimes it's fastest to reset the router to factory defaults and start over rather than troubleshoot existing settings.

Occasionally, I see cases where people have disabled DHCP on their network interface card and have given themselves a static IPv4 address, and  then forgot about it. It's always helpful to verify that your NIC is set to obtain IPv4 addresses automatically.

Does any of that help?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Web searches regarding this issue lead me to believe my MAC address needed fixing, I suppose according to most commonly opened links, as Google saw them.  I wish their system was smart enough to sort by date and relevant content. (i.e., last year's issue was fixed in November!)

The above reply helped me decide to reset everything and find that I'd previously been routing through incompatible addresses.  Problem is solved and I wish I could mark the above as best answer!  Thanks John!

New Poster

Hello,
I am having the same issue as described above. We have a Comcast business Dual Band WiFi BWG router/modem combination. Last week one of the connected computers was unable to get ipv4 and now two of us are having the issue. Our computers have no trouble connecting to other networks outside of the office, just this one. We have reset the modem , checked our computers for firewalls, and called customer support with no luck
Expert

@gracevinson8 wrote:
Hello,
We have a Comcast business Dual Band WiFi BWG router/modem combination. 

If you are a Business Class subscriber, please post your concern here;

https://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/

This forum is for residential customers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Could you share some of the steps you would take to fix user error that would prevent IPv4 from working on a device? I'm connected fine from another laptop without issue but my Aspire E 15 can only connect with IPv6, like others on the forums have been saying ... this leads me to believe its a connection issue with the device rather than something to do with the modem or any additional hardware (which I don't have anyway). Furthermore, this on appears to happen when I'm connected to my newly installed home wifi ... it works fine on public wifi like at a coffee shop. IPv4 and IPv6 are both set to "obtain an IP address automatically," i've tried rebooting modem. What else can I do to find out the cause on my end? Many thanks in advance.