Community Forum

iMac Looking For Network

New Poster

iMac Looking For Network

I am curious if anyone else experiences their iMac dropping the network connection for short periods on a somewhat regular basis?

I am on OS X 10.13.3.

Can it be a modem/router issue?

I have not problem with other WIFI devices in the home dropping the signal.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tags (4)
Expert

Re: iMac Looking For Network

wrote:

I am curious if anyone else experiences their iMac dropping the network connection for short periods on a somewhat regular basis?

I am on OS X 10.13.3.

Can it be a modem/router issue?

I have not problem with other WIFI devices in the home dropping the signal.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a 27" iMac running High Sierra 10.13.3 and an ASUS RT-AC86P router, no issues with dropouts. I normally have it on Ethernet to the router, but there were a few times I ran it on WiFi, no issues there either.

Since you don't have dropouts with other devices, try running Network Utility (might need to do a Spotlight search to find it) and check:

1. If you're using the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band (switch to the 5GHz if possible)

2. How good the signal is to the iMac.

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

I’ve had a similar problem with my MacBook Pro where it would still connect on Wi-Fi and get my local IP but go no where on the internet along with any application using internet then hangs and crashes where the OS is still somewhat responsive but have to force power it down. I mailed it in for repair and it’s comig back today and I’m going to see how it turns out.
Contributor

I also have an IMac running the latest OS and mostly I am connected via cable. I tried WIFI just now and working fine.

If you press the option key and click on the WIFI symbol at the same time, you get more options such as going to network Preferences, network Diagnosic report, and selecting which WIFI to connect to. You may want to try your modem's other SSID channel. I just changed mine and got different speeds using the Xfinity speed test on each SSID. 2.4 is better for distance and 5 is better for speed. 

Hope this helps.