Community Forum

getting gigabit speeds after fresh reboot of PC, then drops to 300-400 after a few hours

New Poster

getting gigabit speeds after fresh reboot of PC, then drops to 300-400 after a few hours

I just had gigabit internet installed at the house (upgraded from 80mbps).  It's awesome, but those blazing speeds seem to dissapate after a while and drop to 300-400mbps.  When I reboot my machine, it screams again at over 940mbps

I've run "netstat -abf" on my computer and there's nothign out of the ordinary talking over the network and certainly nothing that would cause a 500-600mbps drop in speeds.  I reported this to comcast and they sent someone out the next day and pulled a new coax from the pole to the house as he was seeing some extra "noise" on the line.  He also swapped out the new modem for another brand new one.  This worked for a short period while he was here, but alas, an hour after he left, I'm seeing the same behavior again.  I was holding steady at around 80mbps before my upgrade right after a reboot and permanently thereafter (I never power down my desktop).  My laptop which is plugged into the same gigabit router experiences the exact same problem.  Really fast after a fresh reboot of the laptop, slows down over time.

For clarification: I'm not having to reboot the cable modem, I'm rebooting my devices inside my home network to realize the max speeds.  Any ideas here?  I don't want to call them out again and have them just plug in their raspberry pie device into my router and see the 940 speeds and say "ya, it's all working, must be somethign on your end...."

Valued Contributor

Re: getting gigabit speeds after fresh reboot of PC, then drops to 300-400 after a few hours

The first thing I would try is to connect directly to the modem by ethernet from the pc  without the router in the loop and see if the symptoms are the same.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: getting gigabit speeds after fresh reboot of PC, then drops to 300-400 after a few hours

tried that already, same result.  I also upgraded my CAT5 cables to CAT6.