Community Forum

fire tv stick won't connect to the Internet

Frequent Visitor

fire tv stick won't connect to the Internet

The Amazon Fire TV Stick connects to the wireless Netgear router (strong signal, etc.) but returns saying it can't connect to the Internet. The router shows that an IP has been assigned to the Fire TV Stick.  My two smartphones and another wireless enabled TV connect wirelessly with no problems.  Tried every option including entering all the wireless settings (so I now know what an subnet mask length is all about).  No joy.  Tried factory reset and now since it can't get to the Internet, says it can't connect to Amazon.com  The Fire TV Stick worked for about a month although I normally had to go thru resetting the router (power cycle, the bill gates solution) when the connection was lost (still lost as to why that was happening from time to time but after an hour the connection seemed to settle down).  Any thoughts?

Frequent Visitor

Re: fire tv stick won't connect to the Internet

Amazon replaced the FireTV Stick and the replacement connects to the Internet w/o a problem (with a new IP address since the MAC address is new).  I find it hard to comprehend (only engineers argue with themselves) that the hardware could be doing something that allows it to connect to the router but not the Internet.  I suspect the new IP may have given me a break but bottom line - I am back on the air.

Expert

Re: fire tv stick won't connect to the Internet

Marked "solved" thread now closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!