Community Forum

demarcation point

Regular Visitor

demarcation point

My house has had Comcast service for years.  The wire comes in from the pole and then goes straight into the attic, where it is split and goes to 2 TVs and my router.  During a recent service call where it was determined that I have low signal strength at my router, I was told that I should really have a demarcation point - a box on the side of the house where the wire from the street is grounded.  This way, it's easy to tell if the problem is mine or Comcast's.  Does Comcast usually supply this box?  If not, are there guidelines for the requirements or is it just any waterproof low voltage box?  I don't want to just pick one up and fix the wiring as the tech described only to have Comcast complain it doesn't meet their requirements.  Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: demarcation point

@akbski wrote:

My house has had Comcast service for years.  The wire comes in from the pole and then goes straight into the attic, where it is split and goes to 2 TVs and my router.  During a recent service call where it was determined that I have low signal strength at my router, I was told that I should really have a demarcation point - a box on the side of the house where the wire from the street is grounded.  This way, it's easy to tell if the problem is mine or Comcast's.  Does Comcast usually supply this box?  If not, are there guidelines for the requirements or is it just any waterproof low voltage box?  I don't want to just pick one up and fix the wiring as the tech described only to have Comcast complain it doesn't meet their requirements.  Thanks in advance.

The demarcation point simply means the point where the cable enters your home - a straight connection from Comcast without any splitters or extra wiring to dilute or cause interference with the signal. A box may or may not be needed, depending if the access area is weatherproof or not. 

From what you describe, you should remove the splitter at the demarcation point, connect the modem directly to the cable entering your home, and test the modem from there. This is an easy way to determine if the cause of your issues is your home's internal wiring. 

You can read more details in Xfinity Internet Connection Troubleshooting Tips .

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@akbski
The reason that the demarcation in your case is, as you posted, your service isn’t grounded (going directly to the attic). That’s pretty important that you are grounded. That’s something that the last tech who was out absolutely should’ve taken care of, and the house box is provided by Comcast. We can get another tech out for you at your convenience.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  The technicians who have been here said that it is against policy for them to go into the attic, which is where the line from the street has its first connection at which they could test the signal strength.  That was the source of my question - if there's no connection that is accessible from outside the house, do I need one?  Does it matter that there's no grounding block?

As for the troubleshooting, the problem is intermittent.  I've done as you've described and brought my modem up to the attic.  It connects to the Internet, but I'm not convinced that it isn't just redoing the connections... when I bring the modem back downstairs after the test, it usually works there too even though all I did was disconnect and reconnect everything.

I thought if i pulled the end of the wire from the pole back outside the house, put it into an accessible waterproof box with an appropriate grounding block, and then ran the splitters from there it would at least give me a definitive answer to which side the problem's on the next time the cable tech needs to be called because the Internet's out again.

Regular Visitor

Thanks; I'll schedule something for that.

@CCAndrew wrote:
@akbski
The reason that the demarcation in your case is, as you posted, your service isn’t grounded (going directly to the attic). That’s pretty important that you are grounded. That’s something that the last tech who was out absolutely should’ve taken care of, and the house box is provided by Comcast. We can get another tech out for you at your convenience.

Diamond Problem Solver

@akbski
Techs can go up in attics but it would definitely depend on daytime temperature. Try to make an appointment for earlier in the day when it’s coolest

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hey there, akbski! I can definitely help out. Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name to get started! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

akbski, I'm glad that we were able to send out a technician to assist! Please let me know if I can help with anything else. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.