Community Forum

comcast with remote splitter dropping hard wired ethernet connections

Frequent Visitor

comcast with remote splitter dropping hard wired ethernet connections

Hi,   I love my comcast, have been using this connection for a long time, and get more than my download rating.   I have a remote splitter connected directly to the comcast wired ethernet port, one of the splitters is a netgear gs208.  This morning I put in an older netgear splitter in and it worked great.   My Mac came up & showed 477 meg download.   My windows 10 machine came up on the hard wired ethernet and was running quickly.   Because all this works I would say the wiring is working.   then i took a 1 hour break and when I came back neither the mac or the win 10 machine were on the ethernet.  I have both machines set to wifi and hard wired ethernet.   When I rebooted the machines they both came up on wifi but wouldn't go on to hard wired ethernet.    This pattern has repeated several times.  I have completely rebooted the comcast router, pulled the battery, made sure it completely rebooted.   Any thoughts.   This is painful because it used to work like clock work.

Frequent Visitor

Re: comcast with remote splitter dropping hard wired ethernet connections

The Xfinity Router is an Xfinity Dual Band Wifi Enable XB3

Frequent Visitor

Just figured out something bizarre.  completely powered off computers and splitter then  I rebooted the comcast router with xfi and then turned my mac on.   Mac only connected with wifi, bummer.   Then without rebooting anything I switched from the old splitter to the gs208 splitter and the mac automatically picked up the ethernet jack on the mac and I was 475mb download again.   Something about a new splitter allows comcast to assign a new ip address to the hard wired ethernet ports.

Frequent Visitor

This swapping splitter approach only works temporarily, a few hours best case.  I am still looking for suggestions about keeping the remote splitter working reliably.   Another data point.  I plugged the comcast hard wired ethernet cable directly into my win 10 machine (gave up using the splitter) and that survived a complete power down and restart over night.

Official Employee

Hi, FlashGordon7! How many devices do you have connected to the splitter? Only two PCs - MacBook and Windows 10 PC? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi, Thanks.  Usually 4 devices.   Other than the Mac and Win 10 I have Win 8 machine that I occasionally use and an IOGear print server.    I don't mind the ip's dropping off occasionally but it's the fact that once they do drop off, they won't come back up on hard wired ethernet that is really hard to deal with.   I'm not positive this happened but I think once I rebooted the comcast router with xfi (just a reboot, no battery pull) and the hard wired ethernet still wouldn't come up until I swapped the splitters.  Using this remote splitter in this location is generally reliable, I've been using it this way for the last 6 years.

Frequent Visitor

both the new and old netgear splitters are 8 port total splitters with no specially designated port for the run that goes to the comcast hard wired ethernet port.

Official Employee

Hello FlashGordon7, thank you for reaching out here on our forums. When your Ethernet are connected to the switch are the corresponding lights up from lighting up front? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Are you talking about the lights on the splitter or on the comcast router?    If you are talking about the comcast router I assume you are talking about the lights on the back where the ethernet jacks plug in.  On my comcast router the front lights are only things like 5g, 2.5g, Online, ... no port specific stuff.

Official Employee

Thanks for your reply! I apologize I should have clarified but are you showing lights on front of your switch/splitter that correspond with the appropriate port? 

Frequent Visitor

Hi, I will try this and check the lights.     I dropped the splitter and put my win 10 work machine directly into the comcast router on the one ethernet run I have to the comcast router.   I have to find a window where I can reintroduce the splitter but it may take time.   I would say in general that I certainly saw more than just the one light of the ethernet cable that went to the comcast router on for the splitter lights when I was having this problem, but I'm not positive of that.

Official Employee

Thanks, we appreciate you doing so! At your convenience, if you could please test that out, it would be great. Please let us know the results and we can go from there. 

Official Employee

@FlashGordon7, we have not heard back from you on here, so I will be locking this thread. Please be sure to reach back out if you still need assistance with this splitter/connection concern, or for any new issues or concerns. We're here to help! Thanks for being a loyal customer and we appreciate you choosing Comcast as your provider.