Community Forum

change Wifi channel to avoid interference from neighbors

New Poster

change Wifi channel to avoid interference from neighbors

I would like to know how to change the channels used by my router (XB6, I believe).   I am getting a lot of interference from neighboring WiFi's, which are mostly using channel 1 (2.4 GHz) and channel 44 (5 GHz), just like my router.  

I attempted to change the channels in the admin settings but they are grayed out, saying it is automatically managed.  On XFi, the option simply doesn't exist.  

I talked to an XFinity representative, who said that I can switch routers to the XB3 which has better admin control but I am skeptical that this will solve my problem. 

Is there some setting on the XFinity end that can simply enable my access to change the channels?  My wifi speeds are terrible (10-20 Mbps)  and my work VPN is continually disconnected.  I need to solve this problem or I'll have to switch providers.  

Problem Solver

Re: change Wifi channel to avoid interference from neighbors

What indications/symptoms are you having that are telling you it is 'interference' from other WiFi signals?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

FWIW;

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/improve-your-wireless-home-network

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Just for info:

There has recently been an update of the xFi app and possibly a firmware update to the Technocolor XB6 gateway too.

Used to be the case that if the customer had Xfinity Pods then it was impossible to change the wireless channels. The Pods/gateway had control of that.

Since this update, the same applies if using the XB6-T on it's own. I only noticed this the other day when a few of my devices that usually connect to the 5Ghz network were connecting to the 2.4Ghz network instead.  (I was using the same network SSID to connect).

I had to change my network SSID names, so that my 2.4 devices would be on the one network mainly IOT stuff and then put the devices I wanted back on 5Ghz.

Not sure you can change anything wireless in the gateways admin tool now.

The same message now appears in the gateway admin tool, when going into edit the wireless settings as appears when the customer has Pods.

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Xfinity xFi app or visit xfinity.com/myxfi."

New Poster

@jav6joev wrote:

What indications/symptoms are you having that are telling you it is 'interference' from other WiFi signals?

I used an app on my phone called "WiFi Analyzer".  It shows at least three other networks on the same channel as mine

New Poster

@Paraniod wrote:

Just for info:

There has recently been an update of the xFi app and possibly a firmware update to the Technocolor XB6 gateway too.

<snip>

Since this update, the same applies if using the XB6-T on it's own....

<snip>

Not sure you can change anything wireless in the gateways admin tool now.

The same message now appears in the gateway admin tool, when going into edit the wireless settings as appears when the customer has Pods.

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Xfinity xFi app or visit xfinity.com/myxfi."

Yes, this is what I want to resolve.  I want to have control of the channel selection.  Is there any reason to think that switching routers to the XB3 will allow me to have control?

New Poster

@EG wrote:

FWIW;

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/improve-your-wireless-home-network

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods.

Thanks for the links.  I have already tried all of the things in those links, with some improvement, but not a lot.  

Silver Problem Solver

May well be the same with the XB3 too now. You could bridge the gateway and use your own router.

I will probably go back to using my own devices in a few weeks when my deal runs out. I was only using the XB6 to get xFi Advantage/unlimited, but I can live without that.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Expert

It’s part of a broader experience in Mesh Mode being rolled out to the whole xFi platform where you will no longer be able to control the wireless settings through the gateway. The only current settings you can change without Pods on the app, is SSID, passphrase, security mode, and SSID Broadcast.

If you stayed went to an XB3, you would need to get the one that isn’t xFi Eligible to be able to. I believe that model is the Technicolor TC8717C.

Otherwise I’d recommended either getting your own router at least or your own modem and router.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Doubt the 8717 is still available, it was always fairly rare. They seemed to have dropped it in favor of the DPC3941T and the Arris TG1682G for XB3.

Of course there is the XB7 coming soon, with wifi6 (ax).

New Poster

This is my problem also. I have slow Wi-Fi speed due to too many people on the same channel. I live in an apartment and Xfinity has done nothing to help me with this problem.
Frequent Visitor

So Comcast Xfinity slowly started taking away our ability to control our gateway, modem, and wifi... First, full control of gateway settings went away, and they were directing us to the Xfi app, but we still had access to settings like Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth.

Today, I just discovered that access to these settings has now been taken away, and if you look at the posts in this forum, looks like this may have happened around October 2019. I just called customer service, the agent helping me acted like I should have access to these settings, even though I shared with her what it says in my gateway page, "Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically..."; my Channel Selection was set to Manual, which I set previously; but now I want to switch it to Automatic; the agent shared that they too can access the 10.0.0.1 gateway like we do locally, and it wasn't allowing her to make any changes either; she used another "tool" and was able to switch it to Automatic for me; she said I should wait 24hours to see if access returns. I am beyond doubtful now that she was being straightforward with me; given all these posts in this forum, and the clear message "are being managed automatically", I do not expect this PROBLEM to improve, at least for us the consumer.

Guess it's time to find a modem on Amazon! This s_UCKS!!