Community Forum

can not connect to Dual band 2.4 ghz, 5.0 works fine

New Poster

can not connect to Dual band 2.4 ghz, 5.0 works fine

i can not connect devices to 2.4 ghz on my dual band router and  light is not on or blinking.  2.4 does not show as available on ipad wifi search, only 5.0.   the 5.o works fine.  i have device looking for 2.4 and can not connect it.  suggestions?

Expert

Re: can not connect to Dual band 2.4 ghz, 5.0 works fine

Start here;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/benefits-same-wifi-network-password-name-xfi-gateway

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks.  That explains why i do not  see 2.4 band.  But, i have a wifi thermostat that is specificaly looking for 2.4.  i can not seem to connect it.  seems like router is directing me to 5.0.  Do i have to breakout to  two passwords to accomplish this?  maybe i have different problem connecting my wifi thermostat?   appreciate the help and information.  

Expert

Having two different network broadcast names (SSID's) is a must.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks.  I will create  the two different passwords to separate the two bands.  THanks.

Expert

SSID's / network names.

New Poster

I have had two different network names  for both 2.4 and 5.0 but had the same password for both bands.   i think your suggesting i need two different passwords to keep them totally separate.  is that correct what i need to do?

Expert

No. The passwords can technically be the same. Change them if you like. I'm saying again, the 2.4 and the 5.0 WiFi broadcast network names (SSID's) need to be different....

New Poster

I do have separate network names for 5.0 and 2.4 and hey show on my dual band router, CISCO 3941T.     But i am not able to connect to the 2.4.  it never shows as available.  Only the 5.0 comes up when i look at networks on iphone or ipad.  i have keyed in 2.4 network name as "other network"  but it does not find it.  How to I get 2.4 to come up as an option when i look for wifi networks on my iphone?  thanks for your help.  

Expert

Have you first tried power-cycling / re-starting the gateway device / router ? No joy ? Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior issues. You will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch if you do the latter.

New Poster

Success,   Did the he factory reset with help from Xfinity help desk and we got everything working.   I did set up only one network and system is "band steering" me to correct band, 2.4 vs 5.0.  Thanks for all your help.  

Expert

Glad you got it figured out !

Official Employee Digital Care

Hi there, PRG104. Thank you for confirming and letting us know that suggestion did the trick. We are pleased to hear that. Thanks for your time, take care!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.