Community Forum

boost hotspot?

Frequent Visitor

boost hotspot?

a place i often go to has a hotspot i can access on the patio, but not indoors. is there a way for me to boost the signal so i can get it indoors?

thanks.

Problem Solver

Re: boost hotspot?

Nope.

Frequent Visitor

so a repeater or booster of the signal can't be done?  i thought there were devices that take in a signal, boost it, and send it back out.  not so? sounds good in theory, but i'm a newbie.

i actually bought a pc wifi adapter and the signal is being picked up indoors.  it's strength seems to vary.  i guess that's the nature of hotspots?  does it depend on how many people are using it?  odd the speed is said to be 100Mbps, yet i get between 1-3 Mbps.  why would the speed be listed that high when it's not the case?  i also get 2 out of 5 bars.  not sure how relates to speed.  any insights?

thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

What do you mean by hotspot?  I use my gateway's wifi, not its hotspot.  

There are ways to increase the range of a gateway's wifi but a gateway's hotspot can't be boosted.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/about-xfinity-wifi-internet/

Try googleing powerline wifi.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

at home i use the comcast router to get my wifi, no sweat.   at my other location, i don't have a comcast router. but there is a hotspot nearby (about 150 yards away, unless in an office in my building someone has a comcast router), and that signal fluctuates.  according to windows 10, i always get 2 of 5 bars on signal quality, i guess considered a fair signal (also according to my tablet).

sometimes i do get 8Mbps, which is plenty.  other times, almost 0.

would a large antenna help, maybe boosting signal quality?  or is this an issue of the hotspot, maybe when busy, just puts out less bandwidth to my desk?

thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

It is entirely what the hotspot can provide.  Outside a business that has xfinitywifi, it is very difficult to get a strong signal.

And the business has no way to strengthen the signal.  (I think)

I might even suspect a business wouldn't want someone outside the business being able to use their wifi bandwidth.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Regular Visitor

Yes you most definatly can. Ignore the geniuses with masters in info technology, and check out the hillbilly with the $25 nano router and a metal spot light shield!!!

Seriously, though. What you need is a "travel router" offering "AP wireless client bridge" mode, or WISP, others just call it hotspot router mode. Easiest to use, cheapest, and not hard to fibd are the tplink wr802n pocket nano travel routers. There was a 702n and now theres a 902AC I believe, but i only ever used the wr802n.
But google TRAVEL ROUTER, as youre looking for the ability to recieve a wireless signal at the unit, and then rebroadcast it to your device alo g with access to the CAPTIVE PORTAL login page. Like a hotel wifi, get it? The key to this whole thing is being able to see the page you click to agree to terms on. If your SO Far away the signal dB is nothin....seriously, grab one of those clamp spotlights with the round metal reflector from home depot....hot glue a toilet paper roll where the bulb should be (as a standoff) and tape/glue the nano router on the end. I can snatch a xfibity signal from a home router from 2 mikes with direct line of site .

Next, start it up and on the web interface page. Use it to clone the mac addy of your phone or WHATEVER device is the ONE device your mobey is granted access with. That way, all theyll see is a lot a data flowing through 1 approved device. After cloning MAC,follow quick setup for Hotspot router mode.

You sir -and everyone in the house for that matter- are now cooking with grease.
Diamond Problem Solver

3 year old dead thread now being closed.