Community Forum

best wifi router and modem

New Poster

best wifi router and modem

need some help on best router and modem options i have comcast blast internet i have the  surfboard SBG6580 gateway and the software is not upgradable ive had it for few years now time for upgrade so looking for my best optiions...

Frequent Visitor

Re: best wifi router and modem

You can use this website https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ to find an approved modem. 

Routers are tough because there are alot of factors.. How many devices on the network? How network savvy are you? Whats the SQ ft of wireless coverage? Etc, etc. 

If you want a really solid all in one wireless router then you can't go wrong with
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5091000.p?skuId=5091000

If you really don't want to deal with it and like having support than rent Comcast's since it includes their support with the rental cost.  It's usually a fairly nice AC all in one unit that has good wireless coverage / speed / basic firewall options. 

New Poster

well i have 3 total computers in house and im want something that has upgrable software i was told the gateway combo is not the way to go also i have the comcast 150 plan so i think im bout to upgrade to the 400mbs plan 

Frequent Visitor

I'm all for faster speeds but honestly if you look at your speeds most people never really utilize that much.. especially with only 3 computers in the house. Do you not have any other internet connected devices? Phones, tablets, smart watches, thermostats, etc?   What makes you want to upgrade to the 400 mbps plan?

I mean I have 250 for my wife and I, we both work from home alot and we are heavy, heavy users and I have never felt like our speeds where too slow. 

The modem router combo isn't top tier but it's plenty for most users, honestly I would consider that route. The thing about having seperate modem / router is now you are respnsable for all support / setup / config / troubleshooting ,etc. 

Will anythign be wired or will it all be wireless? 

New Poster

well my computer is hooked up to the mine the main one  2 computers work off he wifi conncetion so i having issues with the other 2 that on wifi also i play online ps4 gameplaying also yes i have a couple tablets we use off and on not to much  and 2 phones , firestick i wanted upgrad thinking it would be better speed but that may not be the case it may just be time for modem router upgrade 

New Poster

i wouldnt mine another wifirouter combo long as it avaibale software upagrade mines does not have none at all

Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure what you mean by software upgrades? All router manufactures offer upgfrades as they release security updaes, interface canges, additon upgrades, etc. It's not guranteed a new router will always get software updates.. a manufacturere will eventually put a product at whats called end of life ans stop supporting it. 

This is another good reason to rent comcast's gear as they will give you new stuff as the old stuff ebcomes end of life. 

I hope this helps!

New Poster

im sorry i mean frimware not software 

New Poster

also i forgot to mention with the heavy use of you and wife how does it affect you data cap or usage does it go over or no

Frequent Visitor

We have gotten close on some months.. we hit 800GB one month but most of the time we are ok. 

@biglion wrote:

also i forgot to mention with the heavy use of you and wife how does it affect you data cap or usage does it go over or no