Community Forum

best wifi extender that works with Comcast gateway?

Regular Contributor

best wifi extender that works with Comcast gateway?

I recently got a new TV and I went to install a Roku and my wifi signal is not very strong in the area of the TV.  Which wifi extenders do you recommend that would work with the Comcast gateway device?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: best wifi extender that works with Comcast gateway?

bendmitchell wrote:

I recently got a new TV and I went to install a Roku and my wifi signal is not very strong in the area of the TV.  Which wifi extenders do you recommend that would work with the Comcast gateway device?

I can't think of a reason why any wouldn't work with Comcast.  I have been able to get ActionTec powerline adapters to work and I have had several Netgear extenders and they all worked.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

bendmitchell wrote:

Here is an excellent site for researching routers and WiFi extenders;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/wireless-extender/view

New Poster

You can use Netgear wifi extenders or you can also use extenders available for you to rent on or nearest service center

Frequent Visitor

I've been using the TP-Link AC750 dual band extender for about six months with no problems to speak of, and it has solved my problem which was similar to yours.  I have the Arris gateway/router which wasn't strong enough for the BlueRay DVD/streamer at the other side of the house.  The extender solved the problem.  Generally, you plug it in and it does its thing.  I live in Florida and I've had to reboot it a couple of times after thunderstorms, but that's about it.  Its software tells me its currently been up for 21 days without a hitch.  Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

using an Orbi with a comcast Gateway?

I have a modem/router Comcast gateway device.  However, I am having issues with the wifi being not very strong where my Roku is.  So the questions is--Am I able to hook up a Orbi mesh wifi system to the Comcast gateway device?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: using an Orbi with a comcast Gateway?

Yes. It is best to put the Comcast gateway in to bridge mode so that it acts only as a straight cable modem. You then connect the Orbi main router unit to port number 1 on the CC gateway device.

Bridge mode;

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode 

Regular Contributor

installing ethernet line at another phone line?

Here is my situation.  I am trying to get a better signal for my TV and Roku.  How much does it cost to run an ethernet cable across the house?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: installing ethernet line at another phone line?

If you are talking about wall fishing cables, CC doesn't do that in many if not most areas. You're better off getting a local low voltage wiring / com tech to do it.
Regular Contributor

Not sure what you mean. Are saying Comcast won't run an Ethernet cable across the house?
Diamond Problem Solver

Not if it involves being behind walls.
Regular Contributor

I don't think it involves walls. They would have to run it across the ceiling of my basement which is pretty easy since it's an open ceiling. There is a regular phone line already there so it is accessible. I'm new at this but they would run it from my gateway device, right? That's where it would start?
Regular Contributor

using more than one router for an ethernet setup

I am thinking of wiring my house for ethernet.  Can you hook up multiple routers to a Comcast Gateway device?  If you can, do I just hook up my comcast gateway to the new routers around my house via a hardwire ethernet cable?  Would this pretty much guarantee me better speeds for things like streaming TV?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: using more than one router for an ethernet setup

bendmitchell wrote:

I am thinking of wiring my house for ethernet.  Can you hook up multiple routers to a Comcast Gateway device?  If you can, do I just hook up my comcast gateway to the new routers around my house via a hardwire ethernet cable?  Would this pretty much guarantee me better speeds for things like streaming TV?

I ran an ethernet cable from my gateway to the farthest room in the house (in the attic).  I dropped it into the closet and ran it to a Netgear AC1750.  It provides both ethernet ports and wifi.  Just remember to put the Comcast gateway in Bridge mode if you can.  If your Comcast gateway doesn't have that setting, be sure to get a router that can be set so it gets its DNS from the gateway.  You must avoid a "double-nat".

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

bendmitchell wrote:
I don't think it involves walls. They would have to run it across the ceiling of my basement which is pretty easy since it's an open ceiling. There is a regular phone line already there so it is accessible. I'm new at this but they would run it from my gateway device, right? That's where it would start?

I had to pay someone to run coax and ethernet in my attic and down the walls after my initial installation by Comcast.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: using more than one router for an ethernet setup

RobertWy wrote:

be sure to get a router that can be set so it gets its DNS from the gateway.  You must avoid a "double-nat".

FWIW, DNS has nothing to do with "double NAT".

Regular Contributor

effects of disabling wifi?

Besides the obvious of not using the wifi network, does anything else get effected by disabling the wifi on the Comast gateway?  I have the triple play so does it effect the phone service with things like caller ID?  Anything else effected?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: effects of disabling wifi?

No. It doesn't affect anything else and the device still functions for phone service.
Regular Visitor

bendmitchell wrote:

Here is my situation.  I am trying to get a better signal for my TV and Roku.  How much does it cost to run an ethernet cable across the house?

It sounds like you might want to use a Powerline like the PLW1010, which uses the electricity in your home to broadcast the WiFI. The one I linked has WiFi, but there are Ethernet ones as well... It sounds like you need to WiFi one since you want to get the TV and the Roku covered.

As for people looking to get an extender. Honestly, at this point I'd look into getting the Orbi or the Eero, Orbi is favored by many but either will do. An extender takes up bandwidth and is great in situations where you have one dead spot in your home and don't mind it taking speed away from your other devices.