Community Forum

arris sb8200 frequent resets

Frequent Visitor

arris sb8200 frequent resets

Have been having connection issues for about 4 months now. I thought my modem or router was the issue so in Janurary I bought the arris sb8200 and a netgear nighthawk ac4000 router.  Still having this issues i have dealt with it resetting once or twice a day, but within the last 2 weeks it has been happening over 20 times a day.   At first i thought the router was the issue, but now im leaning towards the modem or comcast's connection to the modem.  When the internet cut out yesterday i went into the room where the modem and router are and checked both,  the router looks fine with all lights correcrt but the modem seems to have done a power cycle or a reset which then causes the router lose connection to the internet.  I have called comcast several times during these interuptions and they have always said everything looks fine on their end.  Well yesterday the rep that was helping me noticed while on the phone there are some issues and she says its coming from thier end.   I have checeked the modem status page and see a long list in the event log.  Not sure if thats normal or not, but im trying to upload the information i gathered to see what you guys think is going on.

Expect i cant figure out how to include the info from my router status page. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: arris sb8200 frequent resets

Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

Frequent Visitor

Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (5).pngScreenshot (6).png

Expert

@jakehintz1 wrote:

Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (5).pngScreenshot (6).png

Can't see your latest pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Im having a technician come out today, i do think there is a signal issues, when i check the event log for the modem, i have almost 2 pages of t3 and t4 timeouts every day.  And when ilook at the channel information each channel has has several hundred to thousand corrected and several hundred uncorrectables. Not exactly sure what all this information means but it sounds like the t3 and t4 timeouts are the main concern.  Ill post later after he/she leaves and follow up with what he said/did or didnt do. 

Contributor

I'm getting daily resets of my SB8200 also.  And, my event log is filled with T3 and T4 timeouts.  

Interested to see what you find out today.

Frequent Visitor

Im hoping its a comcast problem and not on my end. I only have one cable coming into my house and that goes directly into my modem. The house was previously wired for dish network and i can tell the diffence between the wires when running next to each other. I traced it all the way back to box where the wires come down from the pole and dont see any splitters.  Im going to be upset if its my modem, but i dont think it is because i was having the same issues back in December and thats what made me get a new modem and router on Janurary 5th, had same problems after that as well. But everytime i called comcast the assured me everything was fine, well finally the other day it rebooted itself while i was on the phone with the customer service rep and she said, "Oh no, i see that and its definitly not your equipment, its a signal issue."  I even had a new router sent to me from netgear because i had read numerous posts about that model needing rebooted daily for internet disconnects,   now I feel stupid because it has probably been the signal cable all along lol.

Expert

Host those pics somewhere ? Good luck with the tech visit ! Here is some info on those T3 and T4 errors;

T3 ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )

Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also lower the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request.

T4 ( Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received )

Explanation: The cable modem did not receive a station maintenance opportunity in which to transmit a Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) message within the T4 timeout period (30 to 35 seconds). The cable modem is resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. Typically, this indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service, but if the problem persists, check for possible service outages or maintenance activity on this particular headend system. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R04.0, Ranging Request.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor
Expert

FWIW, your first link is broken. The URL is being corrupted with this at the beginning; 

<a href="

Frequent Visitor

arris

arris 2

is this better???

Expert

Yes. The entries confirm that there is a signal impairment / connection quality issue going on. Please post back with how the tech visit turns out.

Frequent Visitor

Well he has came and gone, and im not too sure how i feel about the visit. He came inside looked at the modem, went to unhook it but stopped and said he was going to check the signal at the box outside.  I tried to show him the modem report with all the t3 and t4 timeouts, and he wanted nothing to do with it,  he hooked up at the box and said signals were all good.  He then said he was going to the top of the pole and check things up there. after about 10 minutes he comes back and said he changed a fitting and greased the connections up there, also noted that there was slight corrosion.  He then asked if the internet had returned which it had.  Then told me my modem needs to communicate back and forth and the way it was before the modem was standing at the edge of the cliff and most of the time it was jumping off. Dont quote me on the exact terminolgy but he then said it was covered by comcast and then left.  As long as its working thats all i care about... plot twist  as Im typing this he apparently went around the corner to check the pole for the other end and seen my connection failed again.  I was placing my son on the bus and seen him pull back up.  He said he is going to run a new drop to my house.... I went from about 50% reassured that it was going to work to almost 100% now.   

Expert

O/k, live with it a while and see how it goes. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Ok so a quick call to comcast and that was resolved.  Their was  supposed to be an appointment scheduled with one of thier sub contractors to come bury it. He never mentioned that to me lol, so they told me within 10 to 14 days it should be fixed 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I see i broke the rules on one my previous posts, I did not do it on purpose, and i appolgize for that. Thanks for all the help so far, and hopefully everything is taken care of now. 

Is there a way to reset the event log on the arris sb8200? Or will it just not produce any new enteries as long as all is well?  I want to keep an eye on it for a few days or a week to to make sure i dont need further assistance.

Expert

No worries ! Smiley Happy Try pressing the F5 key on your computer when you are on that page to refresh the entries. Look for a "Clear Log" button on that screen.

Frequent Visitor

According to Arris, you Upstream is well below their guidance of 45dbm. I will post a link shortly. I am having the same issues.
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I do believe they resolved my issue. Since he came back and ran the new line I have not lost connection once. I will check again later today after I get home from work to see if any issues occurred that I havent yet seen. I will also check my upload signal, I noted that it was low on the pictures I uploaded. I did not check it after the new line to see if it improved.

Have you had a technician out to check your line coming into your house, maybe you have the same exact issues because your line is bad too. I report back in the morning when I get home.
Expert

@tluepker wrote:
According to Arris, you Upstream is well below their guidance of 45dbm. I will post a link shortly. I am having the same issues.

The uptream power is not low. It is within the Comcast cable plant / system specs;

Downstream Power Levels: -8dBmV to  +10dBmV

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR):  >35dB 

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

These are the only specs that truly matter. 

Frequent Visitor

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a595/jake_hintz1/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20190411-114007_Chr...

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a595/jake_hintz1/Screenshot_20190411-115216_Chrome_zpswfzwlvmd.j...

So I thought all was well but I'm not that lucky. It has been much better than previously but it should be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Frequent Visitor

Had another technician out today, and he found a spot in the line that ran on the outside of my house that had a spot that rubbed through and the wire started corroding. It has beem good so far for the 3.5 since he left.  Hew said he can almost gurantee that my internet will be back to normal now.  He cut about 4 feet away from the spot and the line was still bad so he ran a new line all the way.  Hoping my internet is back to normal now. fingers crossed.

Frequent Visitor

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a595/jake_hintz1/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20190415-080600_Chr...[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/jake_hintz1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20190410-102948...

Positive that my issue has been resolved. Before I could not get more than 5 to 6 hours.  With the new wire ran around the house i am at 1 day and almost 17hours.  So for those of you having connection issues with the sb8200 maybe it's your line, worth a shot anyway. Finally after 4 months it's working right...yay!

Expert

Hope things hold up for you ! Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Thank you! Glad I could find a place with some much useful information.. I was starting to doubt comcast for a minute, but they kind of have me by the #$!@+& because they are the only provider in my area... So happy they came back and made sure everything was taken care of.