Community Forum

activation page keeps popping up

New Poster

activation page keeps popping up

Hi,

I installed a new xfinity modem/wireless router. Whenever I try to access bookmarked and favorited URLs, the activation page pops up. I have tried simply signing in, but it still pops up. I tried shutting everything down, unplugging, and then powering up modem first and then laptop, but no luck. Still pops up. Very annoying. What to do? I've done some board research and can't find a solution that (a) I can follow and (b) doesn't say "call comcast". I've tried that and 3 different techs couldn't help me...

Expert

Re: activation page keeps popping up

First try clearing your browser's cache / history / cookies.

If still no joy, call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to *roll and re-provision* the modem. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

cant get rid Activation page

cant get rid Activation page

Expert

Re: cant get rid Activation page

ATTENTION 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/activation-page-keeps-popping-up/m-p/27...

Same drill.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

The modem has the correct bootfile, so it appears that this page is either cached in the browser or within the router itself. If after you've cleared your cache cookies and history (and restarted your browser) you continue to get the activation page, a power cycle of the gateway for 30 seconds should do the trick.

If that fails to correct the problem, PM me and I'll reprovision the gateway remotely and save you a call.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

ComcastJohnF wrote:

The modem has the correct bootfile,

John. FWIW, we've seen this issue occur even though a modem has the "correct bootfile" when there is some incorrect data in / or coding missing from the backend / database for the customer's account.

Official Employee

EG wrote:

ComcastJohnF wrote:

The modem has the correct bootfile,

John. FWIW, we've seen this issue occur even though a modem has the "correct bootfile" when there is some incorrect data in / or coding missing from the backend / database for the customer's account.

Understood. The bootfile is the first thing a support agent should check, as it's 9 out of 10 times going to cause the issue. However, even after successful activation, the page can cache in the browser or in the router. Solely reprovisioning the modem isn't a guaranteed fix.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

ComcastJohnF wrote:
Solely reprovisioning the modem isn't a guaranteed fix.

Uh, that's why I always tell customers to clear their browser's cache first. Smiley Wink

In future, will add a powercycle operation of the router to in order to clear its cache as well to the canned response.

Regular Visitor

Could I get some assistance as well.

I just installed a new SB6183 modum and now Internet Explorer always opens to the activation screen as well. I've tried all of the following as well as 3 calls to customer service.

Cleaned cashe and cookies.

Reset dns

reset IP

unplugged modem and router and reset

Tried just plugging the PC into the modem without the router after unplugging modem.

After quite a bit of searching on the internet it seemed as though it may be stuck in a "garden wall" or needed reprovisioning.

I contated the CS and they stated that I wasn't in garden wall and had the proper boot log. They rebooted the modem which didn't change anything. Don't know if it was reprovisioned. They said I was at the right setting for my service.

My bookmarks work and I can use the web with no problems other than my home page (which is set to http://www.google .com) which kicks right to the activation page.

An interesting oddity that I came across that fixes this, is if I set the home page to https: instead of Http: without the added letter (s) it kicks to the activation page, if i add the (s) it works fine. I shouldn't be forced to make that change to avoid the activation screen. So now I can't use google's page without the (s) added to the http: for searching.

Can I get some help as well. I would seems that the issue is not at my end.

Does Comcast have an issue with http: ?

Thank you.

Official Employee

I can confirm there is no issue with HTTP. It sounds like the page is still cached somewhere. To narrow things down a bit, can you try the following steps:

1) Connect directly to the modem (bypass your router) with Ethernet.

2) Flush your DNS cache and IP address

3) Visit any website in IE to see if the issue is resolved.

If it's not resolved, try a different browser than IE to see if the issue affects more than just that browser, or if the issue occurs only in IE.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the quick responce.

I've tried your suggestions. It isn't doing it anymore.

I have found out that the problem with the two different HTTP addresses is with google itself.

This is because when trying to go to google using HTTP and not HTTPS the browser just redirects to the HTTPS site for google.

If it did not redirect to the HTTPS site, it would bounce back to the activation page, which was what I was experiencing.

This issue did not happen with firefox at all and I think that is because firefox redirected to HTTPS on its own from the beginning.

I was always able to visit other web pages, it was just my home page which was set to google that had the issue.

The only page that redirected to the activation page was google.com using HTTP instead of HTTPS (which is what my home page had been set to)

I've discovered why this happens and it is due to Google not allowing HTTP for their address anymore. I've included the links to the pages that explain this.

Thanks for your help. I hope this info will help others that may get stuck being redirected to the activation page. (They may be trying to go to an HTTP page right from the activation page like I was).

I just have to use HTTPS with google now due to their new rules which isn't a huge deal for me, I just prefer to have the option.

I still see the activation page for a second before it redirects to google's HTTPS page and since nothing's changed on my end except a new modem I have to assume it's from a setting that was set when the modem was registered. I can understand the google rules and what its doing because of it, but I don't think I should see that the activation page is still the first thing trying to load.

I would feel better if my registration of the new modem was rechecked for a discrepency, or maybe get re registered. But after speaking to the CS 3 times, I doubt anyone

would take the time to try that.

See

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/10/23/google-redirects-your-search-to-https-change-it/

and

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/27/google-http-search-yes-it-is-still-possible/

Thanks  again for the responce.

Regular Visitor

Clearing the browser history worked foe me.  Make sure the cookie checkbox is checked.  Bam!