Community Forum

You're eligible for a modem update - on us ???

Contributor

You're eligible for a modem update - on us ???

Received an Xfinity email with the above title and the following message:

You need new equipment that keeps up with faster Internet speeds now available in your area.

Replace your older modem with a new Wireless Gateway — on us. Enjoy faster speeds, the latest security features and the most WiFi coverage for your home. Trade up your equipment today.
Your new modem will replace the old modem with the model number TG862G.

When I click on the Update now link, the following message appears:

You Have the Latest Equipment

Looking to add more TV Boxes? We've got you covered.
You can also change or upgrade your plan.

Huh ???
Silver Problem Solver

Re: You're eligible for a modem update - on us ???

Is the TG862G your current modem?

See if this helps:

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/equipmentupdate/devices-up-to-date 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, my current modem is an Arris TG862G (the front of the modem says just TG862 but the xfinity link and the modem setup both report TG862G)

The line in the original email:

Your new modem will replace the old modem with the model number TG862G.

Could be read two ways - the new modem will replace the old TB862G OR the new modem will replace the old modem with a TG862G (which would be newer).

So, I am still confused. Is the TG862G the latest modem?

Thanks,

Mike

Silver Problem Solver

Nope the TG862G is what you have now, it's an older model. They will probably replace it with an XB3 model, (TG1682G or DPC3941T). They have more downstream channels and dual band wifi.

Contributor

Thanks very much - appreciate you taking the time to reply ... wouldn't mind an upgrade!

Mike

Official Employee

Hello Mr_Mike, I can assist further from here if you would like. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Frequent Visitor

I'm in the same situation.  Is it worth "upgrading" to the new modem?  We haven't had any problems with our present one.

Silver Problem Solver

I always accept free upgrades; I am renting mine so there is no reason not to.  And the upgrades usually have more capability, including faster tiers; some tiers require the new gateways.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

The new modem arrived via UPS yesterday and the installation was completely painless. Basically, unplug the old modem and remove the ethernet and phone lines - plug in the new modem and attached the ethernet and phone lines. Then use the Xfinity Xfi app on a smart phone to activate the service. I reused my old SSID and router pw, so all my devices were immediately connected. You can return your old modem with prepaid shipping by bringing it to any place that handles UPS shipments.

Based on some recent support calls and this experience, Xfinity has come a long way in customer support. Keep up the excellent work.

Mike

Expert

@Mr_Mike wrote:

The new modem arrived via UPS yesterday and the installation was completely painless. Basically, unplug the old modem and remove the ethernet and phone lines - plug in the new modem and attached the ethernet and phone lines. Then use the Xfinity Xfi app on a smart phone to activate the service. I reused my old SSID and router pw, so all my devices were immediately connected. You can return your old modem with prepaid shipping by bringing it to any place that handles UPS shipments.

Based on some recent support calls and this experience, Xfinity has come a long way in customer support. Keep up the excellent work.

Mike

I don’t recommend using UPS to give it back to them. It could take up to 2 weeks for it to get off of your account even you will be credited for that time it was in shipping and didn’t have it. My best recommendation is to walk it in to a Comcast Service Center or Xfinity Store and return it to them there. This way it is immediately removed from your account upon them scanning it in to their system in the store and you get a receipt that you keep stating that. 

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.