Community Forum

Xi5 vs XiD-P

Frequent Visitor

Xi5 vs XiD-P

In the near future I'll be getting an X5001 and satellites.  If I go with the XiD-P coax connected satellites (instead of the Xi5 wireless devices) can I put the X5001 into bridge mode?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xi5 vs XiD-P

Yes, with a combination of XG and XiD/Xi3 boxes it doesn’t matter what your gateway is set to. Xi5 won’t work with a gateway in bridge mode

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, again, Andrew.  But, I'm asking about the X5001 specifically (the only gateway that supports epon, and the one I specifically mentioned), not the XG.

Diamond Problem Solver

I understand and yes, it’s the same answer. If you use XiD and not Xi5 you can put the gateway into bridge mode.XG stands for either XG1 (dvr) or XG2(non dvr). XG devices aren’t a gateway.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry ComcastAndrew, but it does not seem like you do understand. I cannot use an XG1 or XG2 (which you say are not gateways).  I must use the X5001, which is a xFi Fiber Gateway.  Please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides.

Highlighted
Administrator

@JAAlperin,

Thank you so much for posting your question here in the Xfinity Forum. I am sorry for the confusion, I am happy to clarify. As mentioned by ComcastAndrew, all of our XG2s, XG3s and XiD boxes work perfectly well with any modem of ours that is set to "bridge mode", including our X5001 modems.  However, our Wireless TV boxes (Xi5 and Xi6) devices do not work if your modem is in "bridge mode". For more information on all the X1 television boxes we offer, including XG1 and XG2 devices, see here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-Side-by-side-Xfinity-X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs/ta-p/2940...

I hope this answers your questions. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, ComcastJessie.  However, I continue to think that you are not familiar with the X5001 since you refer to it as a modem.  It is a gpon fiber residential gateway.  If I were dealing with a separate modem I would have no questions.

I have been told that if you bridge the X5001 you lose the tv and phone capabilities and there is no way around it.  If you want tv (whether wireless via Xi5 or wired via xiD-P) you cannot bridge the Arris X5001.  Please confirm or deny this.

New Poster

Similar scenario. Got X5001 and XiD-P installed yesterday along with home phone, and tried using bridge mode. Broke TV. Want to use bridge mode to hand my firewall a WAN IP (like my previous Charter connection) but also maintain TV and Phone. i forget but belived phone was working after we turned on bridge mode, but no TV (MoCA light disabled after bridge mode on). Wonder if there is a different TV unit that could potentially work on network (behind firewall) rather than the XiD-P box?

Frequent Visitor

No.  Can't bridge the x5001 without breaking TV.  My router is is hooked wan to lan (fixed ip), and it is designated in the DMZ.  That handles the double NAT problem. That is the best you can do.

I turned off the 2G and 5G networks the x5001 creates - don't need them, don't trust xfinity security, and don't want the channel clutter.  My router sees the x5001 network, so I can log onto the x5001 GUI at 10.0.0.1 from my 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.  Don't forget to turn off the xfinitywifi network from your account (unless you want it).  I let my neighbor give me that.

There is no documentation for the x5001 GUI, but the other gateways that do have manuals are similar.  Look around enough and you will eventually find where you can assign dhcp reservations.

Look at troubleshooting.  Try MoCA diagnostics, and let me know what you get for readings.  I don't get how the MoCA can be 2.0 when it is using the D1 channel (strictly MoCA 1.1, as I understand it).

The really great thing is that I get absolutely nothing from the epon system that I didn't already have on cable, but lost my cable card equipment in the process.  And, the XiD-P doesn't even support 4K (there is no device for that - I suspect you'll have to pay extra when there is one).