Community Forum

Xfinitywifi public hotspot

New Poster

Xfinitywifi public hotspot

I have a smart tv. Vizio M401i-A3
There is a huge xfinity hotspot WiFi over my place.
I can connect my laptop successfully by connect to the network and putting my
Comcast user name and password when I open up a browser. Now my smart tv can
find the network and connect. But does not have a browser. I am stuck trying to find
another way around it so I can connect the internet via xfinity hotspot. No luck. Any suggestions.
Maybe we can adjust the ip settings ?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinitywifi public hotspot

Use any other device, clone your TV's MAC then connect to the wifi and sign in on that other device. Just remember to unclone your MAC later to prevent conflicts.
Silver Problem Solver

thegreatbrittan wrote:
I have a smart tv. Vizio M401i-A3
There is a huge xfinity hotspot WiFi over my place.
I can connect my laptop successfully by connect to the network and putting my
Comcast user name and password when I open up a browser. Now my smart tv can
find the network and connect. But does not have a browser. I am stuck trying to find
another way around it so I can connect the internet via xfinity hotspot. No luck. Any suggestions.
Maybe we can adjust the ip settings ?

It is not entirely clear what your problem is here. You say your TV can find the network and connect,so what are you trying to do after that?

Why are you using an Xfinity hotspot anyway? If you have their service, don't you have your own wireless router?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

No. The router is broken. Waiting for a replacement.
Yes the tv connects to the network. It is not secure as to having a password. The only way
to authenticate my smart tv is if I had a browser to open so that I can use my username and
password. But it does not have one.

New Poster

What's the easIest way thing about that ? Do I have to set the same nav address as the tv onto my computer or do I have to access the routers
default gateway ? Because I can't access it on my computer. For example by putting 10.0.0.1. Into my browser. Didn't work.
Bronze Problem Solver

If the tv has no way to enter your comcast user name and password then I don't think that device will be able to connect to the xfinity hot spots.
Silver Problem Solver

Uh ... did everyone miss my above post?
New Poster

Use any other device, clone your TV's MAC then connect to the wifi and sign in on that other device. Just remember to unclone your MAC later to prevent conflicts.

Yes I got it ! Lol I asked how would I go about doing that ?
New Poster

So how did you do the cloning i have the same exact problem?

New Poster

Look like no one has helped you out.

1. Disconnect from "Xfinity Wifi" from your computer.

2.  Get you MAC id of your device.. AKA "TV" usually on the back of the TV or in it's setting WIFI MAC.

3. Using windows. go to System>Network adapaters>
"SELECT THE NETWORK ADAPTER" more likely the wirless one that you connect to the Xfinity hotspot with"

Right click> select Properties > advanced tab>  then seclect network address.

You will see a value BOX. you will type the MAC ID in the box. "WITH OUT" the colins. then click okay.

NOTE: [remember to write down your normal mac id so you can put it back]

Next.

You will disabled your wirless adapter and then re'enable it from network sharing center devices. 

on to step 4. You will connect to xfinity wifi. You will be asked to login. again. login then once your online your good and verfied.

Now go back and change your mac ID on your computer back  after your tv is connected.

CONGRATS YOUR TV IS ONLINE! Using Xfinity WIFI.

If you want more tips and tricks to getting your entire home using the Xfinity Wifi Hotspot just ask.

New Poster

Thx...I've been waiting on a reply...I'm bout to try it now
New Poster

it says im connected but i was never prompted to use login information for xfinity wifi. Its possible i cant use the smart tv because i dont have the magic remote? i need a video if possible

New Poster

hi wifiguru

Look like no one has helped you out.

1. Disconnect from "Xfinity Wifi" from your computer.

2.  Get you MAC id of your device.. AKA "TV" usually on the back of the TV or in it's setting WIFI MAC.

3. Using windows. go to System>Network adapaters>
"SELECT THE NETWORK ADAPTER" more likely the wirless one that you connect to the Xfinity hotspot with"

Right click> select Properties > advanced tab>  then seclect network address.

You will see a value BOX. you will type the MAC ID in the box. "WITH OUT" the colins. then click okay.

NOTE: [remember to write down your normal mac id so you can put it back]

Next.

You will disabled your wirless adapter and then re'enable it from network sharing center devices. 

on to step 4. You will connect to xfinity wifi. You will be asked to login. again. login then once your online your good and verfied.

Now go back and change your mac ID on your computer back  after your tv is connected.

CONGRATS YOUR TV IS ONLINE! Using Xfinity WIFI.

If you want more tips and tricks to getting your entire home using the Xfinity Wifi Hotspot just ask.

I get what you are telling us to do, but i am stuck,  when i right click on the wifi adapter and go to properties then look for advance as  you are stating i don't see an advance tab. I need more guidence from this point if you don't mind.  No unless i am in the wrong area but i believe i am where i need to be. 

thank you 

New Poster

i followed all the steps from wifiguru but it didn't worked.

i put my tv mac id to my computer and connected, but then when i turned on the tv, it is still the same.

please help

New Poster

What does Clone your TV's MAC mean????

Valued Contributor

Logon the hotspot with your laptop.  Redirect all video output to the TV using an HDMI cable connecting the laptop to the TV with a HDMI cable.  Watch whatever you want with the laptop and the output goes to the TV.