Community Forum

Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access point

Contributor

Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access point

My current setrup:

 

*Xfinity modem router broadcasting two networks. 

*My own router hard wired to the xfinity also broadcasting two separate networks 

*Both are set to router mode. 

 

Question: If I switch my router to “access point” what would be the difference  in functionality if any?

 

i just set up my current configuration, and things seem to be ok. 

 

Thanks. 

 

 

 

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access poin


@latichever wrote:

 

Question: If I switch my router to “access point” what would be the difference  in functionality if any?

 


If you don't, and if you continue to cascade two routing devices, you will have an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network. You can Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access poin

Thanks for the heads up. I had googled variants of two routers and didn’t come up with double NAT. 

 

So, I put my Asus router into access point mode and all is well except for not being able (so far) to navigate to its configuration page. I tried the standard url—192.168.1.1–and it doesn’t get there. I read somewhere that an Asus access point may be 192.168.1.19, but that didn’t work. I also read that attaching a laptop PC with an Ethernet cable mignt work. Haven’t tried that yet. 

 

I also read that the xFi app might list the IPs and Mac addresses of the connected devices. I saw the Asus as a device but no addresses were listed. 

 

I also try connecting Asus tech support. 

 

 

Expert

Re: Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access poin

Try logging into your gateway at 10.0.0.1 with the username/password combo admin/password if you haven’t changed it already. If it is your first time logging into it, you might be forced to change the admin password. On the right side where it says connected devices, look for the button that should say “View Connected Devices” and click on it and look around for the ASUS and then when you see the name of it just click on it and it should reveal to you, the local IP Address for the ASUS and then it should be reachable at that IP.

OR

Try reaching it by typing into the address bar: http://router.asus.com
Contributor

Re: Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access poin

Solved it. 

 

Went to Asus support. 

 

They have an Asus Devoce Discovery app (available for IOS, Windows, Mac android).

 

I installed it on my iPad and it automatically gave me the url for the router as access point. 

 

There are also generic apps that will scan your system for addresses. 

 

Does xfinity have something like this?

Contributor

Re: Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access poin


@jweaver0312 wrote:
Try logging into your gateway at 10.0.0.1 with the username/password combo admin/password if you haven’t changed it already. If it is your first time logging into it, you might be forced to change the admin password. On the right side where it says connected devices, look for the button that should say “View Connected Devices” and click on it and look around for the ASUS and then when you see the name of it just click on it and it should reveal to you, the local IP Address for the ASUS and then it should be reachable at that IP.

OR

Try reaching it by typing into the address bar: http://router.asus.com


Could not find the Asus when logged into 10.0.0.1 among connected devices. 

 

Did find the Asus at XFi app, but Without addresses. 

 

When I go to router.asus.com I get asus home page 

 

 

 

 

Expert

Re: Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access poin

Hmm. It’s nice to hear you got the app to access it from. Is the web access still needed for your own purposes?
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity router/modem with second router versus xfinity router and second router as access poin


@latichever wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I had googled variants of two routers and didn’t come up with double NAT. 


Sorry for any confusion but I did say to Google for info on the specific words that were in the quotation marks "double NAT".

 

Here's a search for those words that I did for you;

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=double+nat&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=double+nat+&aqs=chrome..69i57...