Community Forum

Xfinity new router supposed to be better ?

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity new router supposed to be better ?

The new router has no battery back up option available ?

I was told the new router does not come with battery back up option.

We also have the voice service form Xfinity, so this means we'll have no phone service when the power is out.  Why would this back up feature be neglected when replacing the old unit ?

The corporate buyers need to know what's needed as an option for their clients instead of shopping blindly just for the price point.

We might cancel the voice service and look somewhere else.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Xfinity new router supposed to be better ?

Consider using a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply). They are better anyway !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@wkuo3 wrote: The new router has no battery back up option available ? ...

What is the device model number? The feature list toward the bottom of https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides states that all the rental Internet/Wifi router/Voice gateways listed provide for battery backup. But EG's point is well taken: a small UPS is probably a better choice.

Frequent Visitor

XFSETUP-7242

Gold Problem Solver

@wkuo3 wrote: XFSETUP-7242

That looks like a Wifi ID, not a model number. The model number might be one of these:

• CGM4140COM
  • DPC3939
  • DPC3941T
  • TC8305C
  • TC8717C
  • TG852G
  • TG862G
  • TG1682G
  • TG3482G
  • X5001
Frequent Visitor

XB6T
Gold Problem Solver

@wkuo3 wrote: XB6T

Still not a model number. Please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/getting-a-new-battery.

From that article:

"Xfinity Voice service will not operate during a power failure without a backup power source. A backup battery for certain Comcast-provided modems can be purchased from Comcast at any time and are currently priced at $165, plus tax. Your purchase includes 24 hours of standby time, a one-year warranty and monitoring to determine when you need to purchase a new battery. Battery performance will be diminished if not kept in dry conditions within a temperature range of -40 degrees F to 158 degrees F (-40 degrees C to 70 degrees C)..... If you already have Xfinity Voice service and would like to order a battery, please call us at 1-888-972-1261. The battery will be shipped to your home within five to seven business days. Please note a $5.95 shipping fee will apply."

Frequent Visitor

XB6
Frequent Visitor

XB6 and that's from Xfinity service representative
Silver Problem Solver

@wkuo3 wrote:
XB6

The XB6 (which I have) battery is for Xfinity Voice Service backup.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/XB6-technicolor-gateway-Backup-battery-av...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: ... The XB6 (which I have) battery is for Xfinity Voice Service backup. ...

That thread is a bit stale. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/getting-a-new-battery.

Frequent Visitor

I was told the new router needs external battery to support the VOICE.
Official Employee

Hello @wkuo3, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I would be more than happy to assist you with getting you a backup battery for your modem. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The solution was suggested by Comcast ( X'finity) to get an external battery back up system which range from $150-$180 at the low end.

We have to give away our current battery which ft in the old router box.

Official Employee

@wkuo3, thanks for allowing me to provide you with the correct information regarding pricing on the battery backup we offer for your modem. Please be sure to reach out to us for any future issues or concerns, we're here to help. Thanks and we appreciate you being the best part of Comcast. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.