Community Forum

Xfinity combo modem/router or Linksys/Netgear stuff?

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity combo modem/router or Linksys/Netgear stuff?

Lets face it, everyone is streaming stuff these days. I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts, and I'm wondering if performance wise... the leased Xfinity Cisco unit is "better" or "faster" in any way over purchased hardware?

My BIL down in South Jersey just cut the cable cord and is using a Linksys modem and router and Amazon Firesticks with DierecTV Now and he's raving about it (now).  Said he's paying $40 for the service for around 50 channels and hasnt seen any lag.  His cable provider is Optimum Online, and he's getting Download/Upload numbers similar to my Blast package.

I'm thinking about all this, especially "cutting the cable" but I'm also wondering if just buying my own equipment would give me as good or better U/D speeds and smoother streaming while saving $11/month. I have a triple play package... still haven't given up the landline LOL.

Mike

Expert

Re: Xfinity combo modem/router or Linksys/Netgear stuff?

I own my equipment because I have better control over my network and I save the costs of the $11 rental fee. 

You didn't specify which gateway you have, but if it's the DPC 3941T,  you could certainly do much better hardware wise as that has the awful Intel Puma 6 chipset. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Well... I'm not the supertechie... but I can follow good directions LOL. So I'll lay out the situation. I have the aforemetioned Model DPC3941T Voice Gateway unit so I guess that could be improved on? 

As noted above, my brother-in-law down in south jersey has cut his cord, is using a SURFboard SB6183 along with a Linksys WRT3200ACM.  He is using NORD VPN and claims that he has used something called DD-WRT to load his VPN right into the router.  Am I correct in assuming there are no combination Modem/Router/WiFi units that will work with xFinity internet/tv/phone?  I want to use my PIA VPN if thats possible.

We're not ready to give up the land-line yet although I'm thinking about it.  Honestly thinking about how I can improve performance, maybe save some money in the long run, maybe... maybe even opt out of the triple play bundle and go with DTV Now.  Both my smart tvs are Samsungs circa 2016, a 7-series and a 9-series.  Don't know if theres a way to add the DTV Now APP because its not obvious in the menu selections.  Wondering if there's a way to put it on manually, like via a USB stick.

Anyway... what model(s) of hardware would you recommend? The WRT3200ACM has been around for a couple of years... is it the state of the art? And likewise, is the SURFboard SB6183 current? My biggest issue (I think) is the fact that we have a landline and want to keep it.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

Mike

Frequent Visitor

Forgot to mention... yes, the current Combo Gateway is the DPC3941T so the bigger question is what equipment (modem and router) will replace it with equal/better performance and allow me to "cut the cable" if I decide to do that?  And of course... have a VOIP capability.

Still trying to figure out how to add a DirecTV Now APP to my two 2016 Samsung Smart TVs since I'm presented with a very short list using the built in menus on them.-Mike

Silver Problem Solver

@Mike_MASS wrote:

Forgot to mention... yes, the current Combo Gateway is the DPC3941T so the bigger question is what equipment (modem and router) will replace it with equal/better performance and allow me to "cut the cable" if I decide to do that?  And of course... have a VOIP capability.

Still trying to figure out how to add a DirecTV Now APP to my two 2016 Samsung Smart TVs since I'm presented with a very short list using the built in menus on them.-Mike

My current equipment is the XB6 Docsis 3.1 gateway.  It includes the Gigabit data plan.  It also supports Xfinity Voice.  One thing to watch out for if you plan to cut the cord and go all Internet, you will run into the Xfinity 1 TB limit, unless you are willing to pay $50/month for the Unlimited Data Plan.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

One thing to watch out for if you plan to cut the cord and go all Internet, you will run into the Xfinity 1 TB limit, unless you are willing to pay $50/month for the Unlimited Data Plan.

The data limit isn't in force everywhere yet. It depends on the area. There is no cap here in New Jersey.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@Mike_MASS wrote:

As noted above, my brother-in-law down in south jersey has cut his cord, is using a SURFboard SB6183 along with a Linksys WRT3200ACM.  He is using NORD VPN and claims that he has used something called DD-WRT to load his VPN right into the router.  Am I correct in assuming there are no combination Modem/Router/WiFi units that will work with xFinity internet/tv/phone?  I want to use my PIA VPN if thats possible.

That sounds like a really good setup. Just as an FYI, dd-wrt is a third party firmware provider for consumer routers, they can give cheapo routers added capabilities they weren't initially designed for, as well as improved management and security. 

There ARE retail voice gateways for sale, but they're a tad expensive and to be honest, all in one combo units can be problematic (software updates, for one, aren't as timely as they need to be). You can check out https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com (XFINITY account login required) for a list of available retail modems. 

@Mike_MASS wrote:

Anyway... what model(s) of hardware would you recommend? The WRT3200ACM has been around for a couple of years... is it the state of the art? And likewise, is the SURFboard SB6183 current? My biggest issue (I think) is the fact that we have a landline and want to keep it.

The SB6183, IMO, is one of the best modems ever made. They're rated by Comcast for 250 Mbps download speeds, so if you're not going faster than that, I readily recommend it. You *will* need an additional voice modem if you want to keep your landline, or get a modem with voice capability like the Netgear CM500V. 

Routers? There are a lot of good ones out there. You can check out various review sites, my recommendations being from SmallNetBuilder and from The Wire Cutter