Community Forum

Xfinity claims they can’t update firmware in self owned modems

New Poster

Xfinity claims they can’t update firmware in self owned modems

<Edited>. I bought my own higher end modems so I don’t have to pay their $13/month rental fees. However, Cable companies are the only ones that can actually update the firmware on the modem. Yet they refuse and claim they can’t update self owned modems. <Edited>

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity claims they can’t update firmware in self owned modems

Happens automatically. The manufacturer develops the fimware, Comcast test it, then roll it out. Nothing the end user needs to do.

A couple of questions:

What makes you think you need a firmware update?

What make/model device?

Does it connect at all?

Is it new or used?

New Poster

Its new from walmart. SBV2402 arris. It connects. Just want to make sure I have the latest firmware to have bugs worked out. Wanted a different one, SB6183, but it had that puma 6 chip, and didn’t want too deal with the disconnect/latency problems that chip is known for
Silver Problem Solver

OK.

Any firmware updates will happen automatically as I said.

Good luck!

Expert

@Rc3dflyer83 wrote:
Wanted a different one, SB6183, but it had that puma 6 chip, and didn’t want too deal with the disconnect/latency problems that chip is known for

FWIW, the SB 6183 does not have the Puma 6 chipset...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I know for a fact that this is not true.  I've actually seen the firmware get updated and the firmware version number change on my cable modem purchased from Amazon.  So, untrue.

Expert

Marked "solved", dead thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!