Community Forum

Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Expert

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

RobertWy wrote:
Just because I turn off wireless doesn't keep the router from assigning IP addresses.

It would need to be in full bridge mode otherwise there will be a double NAT condition.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

EG wrote:

RobertWy wrote:
Just because I turn off wireless doesn't keep the router from assigning IP addresses.

It would need to be in full bridge mode otherwise there will be a double NAT condition.

So, I would need to change the Arris to bridge mode at the same time I turn off its wireless?  What happens to the ethernet network that is connected to the Arris?  Does it still get IP's assigned?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Apatrol wrote:

Robertwy, What is 3.1in Houston? I am in Houston as well.

thanks

Sorry.  Docsis 3.1 versus Docsis 3.0.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

You would put the arris in Bridge mode, so it would only be providing the WAN internet connectivity to your inside router such as the Orbi/Nighthawk or whatever you end up going with. Wireless on the arris would turn off at that point since it would only be performing modem duties. You would then just configure your chosen router to take care of everything like DHCP to your inside clients, wireless SSIDs, DNS, QoS, port forwarding etc...

Silver Problem Solver

justinkoehn wrote:
You would put the arris in Bridge mode, so it would only be providing the WAN internet connectivity to your inside router such as the Orbi/Nighthawk or whatever you end up going with. Wireless on the arris would turn off at that point since it would only be performing modem duties. You would then just configure your chosen router to take care of everything like DHCP to your inside clients, wireless SSIDs, DNS, QoS, port forwarding etc...

Thanks for the reply.  I'm stiill confused.  I have the Orbi.  I am trying to make the correct changes to the Arris TG1682G.  It seems I must do both; put it in bridge mode and also turn off wi-fi.  But I have an ethernet network connected to the TG1682G,  If I put it in bridge mode, do I have to disconnect my ethernet connection and connect it to the Orbi?

Contributor

Yes you would only have one connection going from the Arris to the Orbi. All other client connections would need to be behind the Orbi. Also, when you put the Arris in Bridge mode it will automatically disable the wireless on there
Frequent Visitor

Robert, I also have an Orbi setup. I still have the Arris doing routing duties, but turned off wireless on it. The Orbi, I have it set up in AP mode so it only does wireless duties. I'm utilizing both of the LAN ports on the Arris, one to the Orbi and one to a desktop computer

Silver Problem Solver

chibianh wrote:

Robert, I also have an Orbi setup. I still have the Arris doing routing duties, but turned off wireless on it. The Orbi, I have it set up in AP mode so it only does wireless duties. I'm utilizing both of the LAN ports on the Arris, one to the Orbi and one to a desktop computer

Ah, finally someone who has a similar setup.  I assume the Arris is NOT in bridge mode?  What about the double-NAT issue?

Frequent Visitor

Correct, the Arris is NOT in bridge mode. There is no double-natting issue because the Orbi is in AP only mode.

Silver Problem Solver

chibianh wrote:

Correct, the Arris is NOT in bridge mode. There is no double-natting issue because the Orbi is in AP only mode.

Thank you for that confirmation.  My take is that IF the Orbi is in AP mode, it is getting it's IP addresses from the Arris and there is no double-nat happening.  I will NOT put my Arris in bridge mode because it is my main connection to the Internet and the Orbi is getting its IP address from the Arris gateway.

AND, my ethernet network stays with the Arris.  In effect, the Orbi is just another sub-net on my private network, which is being managed by my Arris.

Silver Problem Solver

Last off-topic post:

I was able to get the Orbi working yesterday.  

My ethernet is attached to the Arris XB3.

My wifi printer is connected to the Orbi.

My Orbil has a good connection to the Orbi Satellite after I moved it closer to the Orbi Router

My Arris XB3 is not in bridge mode

My Arris XB3's wi-fi is disabled

My Speedtest.net download was 230 with the Orbi (3 feet away)

Netgear users and support helped me over my issues

Now, I am in no hurry to get an XB6.  My ethernet download is 230, matching the Comcast speed tier I'm paying for (200 I believe).

Frequent Visitor

Glad you got it working? Note that the Orbi's max wifi speed is 867Mbps, which is well above what your WAN speed currently is so it's not that big of a deal. I have the XB6 and gigabit and can get around 940Mbps over ethernet, but just around 800Mbps over wifi with my laptop next to the Orbi. I am not concerned, though, as this is expected. I believe the XB6 wifi is capable of faster speeds if the client has the hardware that's capable as well.

Silver Problem Solver

chibianh wrote:

Glad you got it working? Note that the Orbi's max wifi speed is 867Mbps, which is well above what your WAN speed currently is so it's not that big of a deal. I have the XB6 and gigabit and can get around 940Mbps over ethernet, but just around 800Mbps over wifi with my laptop next to the Orbi. I am not concerned, though, as this is expected. I believe the XB6 wifi is capable of faster speeds if the client has the hardware that's capable as well.

Thanks for the info from an XB6/Orbi user.  My speed needs are directly related to streaming over wifi (Chromcast Ultra).  I will give this a try and if it isn't fast enough, there isn't much more I can do; I don't think I can justify spending another $50/mo (?) for gigabit at this time, assuming it is available in the Houston market.  

New Poster

I’m wondering if it was an XB6 issue or an Xfinity issue. I’m only saying this because I have the DPC3941T gateway and I had all the same issues that are being reported here.
Valued Contributor

I have read this thread in it's entirety and am hoping for the best when Comcast comes to my son's house to replace his TG1682G with a TG3482G next Wednesday, 1/10/18, and upgrade from the Blast internet included in a triple-play to the Gigabit internet.  The additional cost/month will be only $12.  However, there is a $59.95 installation fee.  They claim that there is some number at the site that they must obtain and record to activate the Gigabit service.  We are located in the greater Phiadelphia area in NJ.  The operator that updated the account was loacted in Chicago.  It appears that painstaking care was taken to ensure that provisioning will be correct.

I guess that you could say that I am my son's "network engineer", because I purchased  and installed a LinkSys AC1900 Max-Steam router, operating in the cascade mode, in his basement to activate two Ethernet jacks in his Family Room upstairs and extend Wi-Fi coverage to the basement.  I have already installed a TL-SG105E switch in preparation for only two Gigabit ports on the TG3482G.  The first will be connected to the router in the basement and the second to the switch.  My son's primary computer and backup drive will be connected to the switch.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Tags (3)
Valued Contributor

Replacement of my son's TG1682G with a TG3482G went without a hitch.  I was impressed that the xFi App groups and device names were retained.  Device IP addresses were retained as well.  I only had time to do a few Wi-Fi speed tests at a few spots in the house with my iPhone 7 using the Ookla Speedtest app.  The Speedtest results near the router in the basement were 457Mbps down and 45Mbps up compared to 239Mbps down and 15Mbps up previously.  239Mbps is the limit imposed by the the Blast service.

The only hardware and software information that I could find is as follows:

Hardware.jpgSoftware.jpg

Silver Problem Solver

I found out yesterday that the TG3482G is not available in my market unless I have an Internet tier of 400 or higher.  I take that to mean I have to sign up for gigabit in order to get the XB6 (or inventory levels increase).

Valued Contributor

That would be correct.  Gigabit Internet is only $12/mo more in our area in South New Jersey.  There also was a $59.95 installation charge spread over three months.

New Poster

I have this TG3482G modem and also run a live stream.
While a speedtest shows 35 Mbps upspeed: once my stream starts I get throttled down to 0.7 Mbps up. Yes, less than 1 Mbps.
I can't be sure if this is a LAN issue with the modem or just a throttling issue, but this modem is ruining my stream.
I've ordered the $400 DOCSIS3.1 Nighthawk. My DOCSIS3.0 Nighthawk was the only way I could effecticely stream before upgrading to Gigabit.
Going back to the xfinity modem for a week was a huge mistake, but, the only way I could get internet while I exchange modems.
Get rid of the Comcast equipment, it's worthless. Invest in a good modem/router like the Nighthawk.

Regular Contributor

I have the TG1682G (nothing but problems that Comcast denies) but am hesitant about upgrading after reading this thread. I have a simple set up and tiny condo. All I use the internet for is basic usage ie. my devices, smart tv, fire stick  Should I expect to have issues? My TG1682G has to go. It’s such a piece of junk. Am I out of solutions? 

New Poster

I have a xb6 and I run 4 ps4 hard wire and have a new router yes a gig. Also have drop outs , new line from pole to house new line from side of house to modem and speeds are great but still drops out. I narrowed my buddy’s xb3 from down the street and went 24 hours no kicking. So I know it’s something with modem I’ll swap it again and then if that don’t work get the boot file changed to the 450 instead of 1 gig. And see if that’s it. But really I believe that the 1 gig is running to fast for the servers. Lol always something right !
Contributor

In regards to my original issue I started this thread for, that has been “resolved” by me doing the Bridge mode and supplying my own router. If I take it out of Bridge mode and just run the XB6 by itself the issues return. Plenty of failed promise on software updates coming and finally giving up on Comcast to do anything, I’m just going to roll like I have it. The R7000 I bought to put behind the XB6 is solid as can be. I will say when the XB6 isn’t rebooting for no reason my speeds are consistently at a GB