Community Forum

Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Thank god I am not alone!!!  Mine as well keeps dropping! Today I had the same technically on par installer come back to the house.  What I want to know is if any of you are running the new Xi5 boxes like I am .  I started off with 3 boxes but that was a nightmare because of this weak modem/router/gateway!  It barely penetrates my sons room right next door.  I ended up hardwiring another box because it was unwatchable! 

What I ahd was crazy.  My Wifi SSID's straight disappeared on me from the XB6!!  I run my switch behind the XB6 then my AP's right behind it because I needed decent coverage around the house.  After that the darn XB6 SSID's disappeared!  Then my Xi5 boxes started only running live tv and nothing on demand or streaming.  I would get constant errors every hour on the hour!  PAINFUL!  

SO right now I swapped out one of my Xi5 boxes for a hardware.  Then we swapped out my XB6 modem as we could figure out why it was not broadcasting.  At the moment when he and I left I had both SSID's from the XB6 working well.  My switch was getting internet and my AP's were as well.  I am hoping it holds up by the time I get home!  I will update if it doesnt!  

Contributor

I do not have xfinity TV service (gladly) so I'm not sure about the xi5. Following up on my previous post about putting the XB6 in bridge mode and running a Nighthawk R7000: My internet has not gone down a single time since I did that.
Frequent Visitor

Maybe I will do the same. Do you know if turning on bridge mode on the modem will disable or make useless the device profiles I currently have set up?

Frequent Visitor

@

Putting it into bridge mode will disable all router functions of the XB6 including wireless. If you have the xi5's they will disconnect

Contributor

Putting it into bridge mode pretty much gets rid of the ability to do the xFi stuff as far as profiles and devices are concerned. Small sacrifice to make to get my internet working as it is supposed to since Comcast doesn't seem to give two squirts about the issue with the XB6
Contributor

I would do the same but if I go bridge mode then I loose all my TV's   I would then have to hard wire all my TV's with COAX and then go birdge mode then buy an additional router.  ARGH

Contributor

BTW we ran tests on both hardwire and WiFi and it affect both.

Contributor

Yeah that's no fun man. Glad I have Dish network in my situation. Bridge mode for real fixed my problems, although cost me almost $200 to buy my own router
Contributor

Anything yet? 

Frequent Visitor

Rick,.

To keep your TV's and have bridge mode you can use a cheap wireless bridge or power line adapters

25 bucks on amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UT...

Contributor

I don't think these will support the new X1 features.  You need to be able to have MOCA on the gateway to make sure you have all their options such as , Voice Telephone, Remote Control Listening , All their streaming and on demand apps.  I actually tried it on my own AP's and only thing that ended up working was Live TV everything else was greyed out and unavailable.  I hear Actiontech used to have stuff that worked with this but since DOCSIS 3.1 I have not heard of anyone able to get all those features to work yet.  For right now I called them and told them to send a tech over to hard wire the other two TV's using the Xi5 Wireless boxes to hard COAX.  Thank God when I did my 2nd floor remodel two months ago I wired all the rooms for COAX and CAT5.  That being said I am gonna ditch the RB6 entirely and use the only currently approved Cable Modem / Router by Xfinity which is the Netgear C7800 which I hopes solves my issues and at least wont have to pay them for the leased modem they sent out:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7800.aspx

Frequent Visitor

I can confirm it 100% works, Maybe not if you need the 2nd port for home security.

Plug the 2nd port into your network and it will provide MoCA. I used both the power inline adapters and a wireless bridge connected to my AP's.

I don't use voice telephone either but I don't see how that would apply.

Contributor

UPDATE:

So I canned that Netgear C7800 as the port forwarding was not working as expected.  Wasnt allowing SSH via port 22 for whatever reason.  I tested it again with the XB6 and another router and worked fine.  I'm now running the XB6 in Bridge Mode but now I have a new issue as speeds have dropped down to a max of 400Mbps.  You guys gotta read this chat I had with these guys!  I was online with them for over an hour and got from 80Mbps to 400Mbps but nothing further.    Maybe I will post the chat for some giggles now that I look back on it.   Long story short they scheduled yet another tech to come to the house to probably only suggest to switch out modem when it's probably provisioning on the back end!  But when I ask them to double check they assure me it's not.  Oh well.  

Frequent Visitor

I have a similar speed problem. When running in bridge mode behind my Nighthawk X6 R8000my speed goes down from 900 to max 400. Are other people experiencing that? My Nighthawk X6 R8000 was provided by Comcast when they initially installed my Tecnicolor 4200 and that router. They just replaced my Technicolor standalone mode with the XB6 as I was not getting the expected speed. 

It looks like I can now get close to 900-Gig but only in non-bridge mode which I don't want. 

Any limitations on the Nighthawk? Thanks

Contributor

Im still getting inconsistencies in speed as well in bridge mode.  Varying from 90 tonight and 700 yesterday LOL.  

Contributor

I am running the R7000 in Bridge mode and I am getting the full gig speeds. I’ve never seen it drop down before.
Contributor

Its been a  full 24hrs now and all I am getting is 90 max now.  Can someone with GB service do me a favor and look on their accounts page and let me know what the service package is?  I'm looking at mine and it doesn't look right so I am wondering if someone inadvertently changed my package.  Thanks in advance for anyone that can post up a screenshot.  This is what I have for mine. 

xfinity.jpg

Contributor

Here’s mine
3871DBFA-A381-4210-ABC8-7CD952932AFB.png
Contributor

HAHAHAHAHA I knew it!  I don't get these guys, man!  It's like healthcare.  I gotta manage this as well and it's a PT job!

Frequent Visitor

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.12.08 AM.png

Contributor

Just got on chat with them.  Of course, they say its incorrect so they send over correct provisioning again and it back to normal again.  I tell them it's still set to HSD Blast Pro and they tell me it's not.  These guys cant correct anything!!  I tell them to correct it and they keep telling me to log off log in and same thing.  The account is reflecting wrong.  

Frequent Visitor

I am not sure this page means much... As you can see, mine just says "Internet" :-) while I have gigabit. 

Clearly could be better but not sure I would rely on that. 

More problematic are the challenges we are facing to get the expected service. Still interested in other people are getting the same speed degradation (900+ when gateway/all in one to 400 max when behind a router) when switching to bridge mode behind a Nighthawk X6 R8000 supplied by Comcast. Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 2.09.46 PM.png

Contributor

On the phone now with Tier 2 Advance Repair (So they call it) If anyone wants to bypass Tier 1 here is the number for reference. 855-484-1453

So now the story is that they still have my old C7800 Netgear associated to the account.  When they provisioned that old modem they had to add a primary modem for the phone line (was enticed to get to add to bundle to bring price down but do not use it).  So they provisioned my XB6 to only be a phone line modem and still had my XB6 provisioned as some rogue modem.  SO now they are trying to fully remove the Netgear C7800 and re-provision the XB6 as the SOLE modem on my account.  We shall see.  Been working with them for over 2 hours now. 

Contributor

OK progress finally!  Now they finally removed the old modem!  Now I am trying to get them to change the "Internet" provisioning on my account to "Gigabit" to see if this makes the final correction on my account!

xfinity1.jpg

Contributor

@istreich1

Hopefully, if I get this corrected and start getting the normal speeds I pay for I might have the recipe for your solution as well.  Can I ask what services do you have bundled with your 1 GB service? 

Contributor

@justinkoehn do you just have internet with XFINITY no TV no Phone? 

Contributor

So I am yes STILL on the phone with Tier 2 support.  Now to have the account reflected correctly we apparently have to rebuild my package.  My package for whatever reason was bundled with Blast Pro in there and I believe that's part of whats messing my provisioning. So I am waiting for them to conference in the Customer Retention team as they cannot remove my Blast Pro in Tier 2 support and we have to rebuild my package.  Stay tuned!

Contributor

Wow new problem!  The Tier 2 Advance Repair team cant seem to get a representative from Loyalty to repackage my package!  The representative was not willing to change anything!  Argh now we are apparently trying to get someone from sales to see if they can rebuild my package.  OMG that was a yelling match with that woman!

Contributor

I do not have any Comcast services other than the gigabit internet
Contributor

Hahaha dude it blows my mind how inept they can be sometimes
Frequent Visitor

Sure. Gigabit Internet with most basic TV service (I don't use it as I have Dish).

Contributor

istreich1 I think I know what the issue why you might not be getting your 900+ But Comcast won't help me prove it.  IF you don't watch your Xfinity basic then cancel it.  Then you should only have then re=provision the service just for Gigabit and see if you speed change once you get them to make sure your account looks like   like below:

xfinity2.jpg

Right now yours looks like mine which is :

xfinity3.jpg

Which leads me to believe it's in the bundling of the services that is screwing something up.  I can get beyond 600 Mbps DL either. I have triple play so I have TV Internet and phone and something is screwy with the provisioning in my bundle because they keep sending me the Blast Pro boot file which is wrong. 

Frequent Visitor

That's interesting... could be indeed.
Although the strange thing is that I get 900 when not in bridge mode. So it is either a router problem (would be surprising as i reached 900 with the technicolor modem and that same router) or a provisioning issue.
In that last case, could either be a bug as you described or deliberate from comcast to promote the use of the gateway or discourage the use of a separate router.
Would be nice to get to the end of this...
Contributor

@istreich1 ,

That definitely good information.  Would you be able to post test results with straight modem non bridge and test results with bridge mode on?  Also anyone else here having similar issues that have anything bundled with their Gig Package?  

Contributor

I will be testing both on mine tonight as I have to provide samples for Tier 2 support tonight.   They also gonna have to come by and fix yet another cable box that is throwing up RDK errors just like the guest room did and they replaced it saying it was burnt out. 

Frequent Visitor

Hey rickcab1, any update on your side? 

I have been traveling and not have had a chance to check but I am curious if you made any progress.

Thanks

Contributor

• I think Arris also has to work out their next firmware update cause this one is not working.  

Regular Visitor

Hi All,

Can anyone commit on the current state of the LAN side drops and slower than 1GB WAN? Did Comcast issue a firmware fix?

thanks

Contributor

Last I checked I didn’t see any difference in the firmware version. I am still running in Bridge mode with a router behind it since its broken AF in regular mode
Frequent Visitor

I can say that's it's been a lot more stable the past month or so. Both LAN ports getting consistent speeds. Haven't had to reboot it myself, though there's been a few times where it may have rebooted itself in the middle of the night.

This is my current "Gateway firmware version" - TG3482_2.8p3s1_PROD_sey

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the update.

Frequent Visitor

My service has been better lately also.  I do get consistent speeds up to the level of my subsription.

I''ve also gotten in the habit of rebooting modem periodically to "...clear out the junk...".

Silver Problem Solver

justinkoehn wrote:
Last I checked I didn’t see any difference in the firmware version. I am still running in Bridge mode with a router behind it since its broken AF in regular mode

What about the issue you described in your first post?  I need to know whether my 8-port gigabit switch will work with this gateway before I order one.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-XB6-Arris-TG3482G-LAN-Interface-Issues/m-p/29...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

If you are just going to be running a switch you are either going to need to keep your XB6 in routing mode, or get a secondary router to handle routing/dns/NAT and put the XB6 in bridge mode

Silver Problem Solver

justinkoehn wrote:

If you are just going to be running a switch you are either going to need to keep your XB6 in routing mode, or get a secondary router to handle routing/dns/NAT and put the XB6 in bridge mode

I had not intended to change the XB6; I have an Arris TG1682G now, and it is my router.  I have a residential tier 200 with 240 down, which is expected.  I just don't want packet loss at the ends of my coax runs, as you seem to imply.  Did I misunderstand?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

oh sorry i misunderstood haha. I am currently running three switches behind my Modem as well as an R7000 nighthawk and i do not have any issues. It has been pretty solid since i switched to bridge mode

Silver Problem Solver

justinkoehn wrote:

oh sorry i misunderstood haha. I am currently running three switches behind my Modem as well as an R7000 nighthawk and i do not have any issues. It has been pretty solid since i switched to bridge mode

Hmm.  I have an R6400 on one ethernet cable connected to ome of my switches but it is running in AP mode.  I guess I don't have to worry about the XB6.

Contributor

You need to put it into an AP client bridge, which should allow the wired gigabit interfaces to pass traffic. I think AP mode only connects the backbone to provide wireless

Silver Problem Solver

justinkoehn wrote:

You need to put it into an AP client bridge, which should allow the wired gigabit interfaces to pass traffic. I think AP mode only connects the backbone to provide wireless

I think you are correct.  BUT.... when  I get the Orbi, I am going to give my R6400 to one of my sons.  When I install the Orbi, I am going to turn off wifi on my TG1682G and put the Orbi in AP mode.  That will make the T1682G a router and the Orbi will provide wifi supprt.  The Orbi even has a WPS function like the TG1680G has.  I will set up my printer with wifi and connect to the Orbi.  

Oops.  I just remembered my ethernet network.  It is plugged into one TG1682G ethernet port.  Just because I turn off wireless doesn't keep the router from assigning IP addresses.

Can't wait to get 3.1 in the Houston market.

Regular Visitor

Robertwy, What is 3.1in Houston? I am in Houston as well.

thanks