Community Forum

Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Contributor

Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I recently switched from Business Class and had the residential xfinity gigabit service installed on Thusday, August 3rd. Speeds are great and everything on the WAN side is perfect (when it's not having these following problems). The issue i am having is on the LAN side. I have the new XB6 modem. I do not run any kind of routers behind it, only 3 gigabit switches, but i isolated those to get them out of the network and the problem persists. If i plug my directly into the XB6 while the problem is occuring i get about 80% packet loss while pinging 10.0.0.1, and the replies that do come back are between 3500-4000ms. When i have the entire network plugged in, including all 3 other gigabit switches, they all ping fine with 1ms replies, minus the XB6 having garbage results as stated before. A reboot fixes it temporarily. I called support last night and was on the phone for nearly 2 hours. He checked everything on the internet connection side of things and signals all test perfect (as i assumed). The problem seems to fully reside on the LAN interfaces of this device. I even did a factory reset of the XB6 and the issues came back within 30-45 minutes. All internet traffic ceases for LAN devices and the pings to the gateway die.

 

With all of that being said, i called again this morning after repeated failure post-restore last night and they are shipping me a new XB6 modem which should be here later this week. I seriously hope this resolves my problems i've had so far. I'm including a quick drawing of my network layout for reference (not fully relevent as my issues pesist without it)

 

My main question is this: Has anyone else here has experienced this same behavior from the XB6?

Drawing1.png
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Have you checked for a potential duplicate IP issue?  We had a problem with that years ago where I worked.  Someone brought in a home router and had configured it with a static IP inside our DHCP range causing a conflict resulting in nearly unusable connections for both them and whoever was unlucky enough to get assigned that address.

 

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Yeah it is not a duplicate IP issue. I have the XB6 DHCP range set to start at 10.0.0.10 so as to free up address space for my network equipment assigned statics. Everything else on the network is dynamic. That aside, as i said before i unplugged everything from the modem except for my single computer and the problem persisted. It almost feels like theres a network looback, but of course is impossible since i had nothing but that single computer plugged directly into it. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


justinkoehn wrote:

Yeah it is not a duplicate IP issue. I have the XB6 DHCP range set to start at 10.0.0.10 so as to free up address space for my network equipment assigned statics. Everything else on the network is dynamic. That aside, as i said before i unplugged everything from the modem except for my single computer and the problem persisted. It almost feels like theres a network looback, but of course is impossible since i had nothing but that single computer plugged directly into it. 


I do not have an XB6, I have an XB3.  My topology is similar to yours; the XB3 has four ethernet ports.  I plan on getting an XB6 and I was concerned about the lack of ethernet ports, but I planned on rearranging everything to "cascade " from one gigabit switch.  But I have never concerned myself with the IP address.  I already have one switch cascaded from the switch connected to the switch that is connected to the XB3.

 

Unless there is more to your (beautiful) diagram, I don't understand why you have any issues.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

That is why i truly believe there is some kind of hardware/firmware issue with the XB6. I do have a fun story though....

 

I called in yesterday morning to get a replacement shipped to me. I couldnt believe it, but a couple hours later i get an email with the subject line of "Your service changes are confirmed" and it was outlaying the changes (none other than a replacement modem) and THEY WERE CHARGING ME 15 DOLLARS TO SHIP THE REPLACEMENT MODEM!!!!! I've had the service and the original modem for 4 days!!! I even paid $60 installation fee. Needless to say i called them immediately and had that taken off. I feel bad for the chick on the phone because i let them have it. Reminded me why i got rid of the television services almost 8 years ago. I told her that if they dont remove the $15 shipping charge (i know it isnt a lot, its the principal of the thing) Ill take every bit of this comcast equipment down to the office and cancel it all (which while im well within my 30 day satisfaction guarantee, ive heard it is a major hassle to cancel)

 

I seriously hope this replacement fixes my issues. Ive been through enough with this garbage already and im not even a week in...

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I'm forunte enough to live 20 miinutes from an Xfinity Store.  I always return/replace/upgrade all my equipment there because I can rely on them to update the correct Comcast account.  And if I don't like any charges I can dispute them in person.

 

I don't understand how replacing the XB6 is going to fix your issue.  One idea I have is whether it is set up correctly on Comcast's end.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I live less than 5 minutes from an Xfinity store, the problem is they didnt have any of the XB6 modems in stock for me to replace mine with. 

 

As far as it not being setup correctly on comcast's end, i doubt this is the problem (surprising, i know). This issue seems to FULLY reside on the LAN side. The WAN connection never goes down. Signals are all good. when it works it is as fast as can be. 

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Also i am sitting at work right now and just noticed my home machines in Teamviewer are all showing offline so it is hosed right now as i type this... When it is down like this, i cannot even ping the LAN IP (10.0.0.1) from a hardwired machine directly connected to the modem

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Last night when i rebooted the modem, i started a ping on my computer and let it run overnight so i could see how may times and how long it was going up and down. Here's my results:

 

Reboot->

up for 6.41 minutes

down for 11.22 hours

up for 24.1 minutes 

 

Here's an example of what i am seeing when it is down:

 

Request timeout for icmp_seq 31491
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31492
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31493
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31494
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1: icmp_seq=31491 ttl=64 time=4694.368 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31496
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31497
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31498
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31499
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31500
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31501
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31502
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1: icmp_seq=31499 ttl=64 time=4635.905 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1: icmp_seq=31500 ttl=64 time=4749.994 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31505
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1: icmp_seq=31502 ttl=64 time=4752.078 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1: icmp_seq=31503 ttl=64 time=4603.945 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31508
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1: icmp_seq=31505 ttl=64 time=4728.288 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1: icmp_seq=31506 ttl=64 time=4676.013 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31511
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31512
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31513
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31514
Request timeout for icmp_seq 31515

 

 

Complete and utter garbage 😂😂😂

Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I want to know if the replacement fixes it as well..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

ArrisTuska wrote:

I want to know if the replacement fixes it as well..


Yeah man its driving me nuts just a bit. Im a sysadmin/netadmin by day so i hate having to deal with this garbage when i get off of work after having dealt with it all day 😂👍🏻

Highlighted
Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I have one more question for you do you have the same issue on the XB6 WiFi or is it just ethernet?  There was a bug in the packet flow that was fixed that affected ethernet but not WiFi..  So I wonder now if you have a old build on your device..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


ArrisTuska wrote:

I have one more question for you do you have the same issue on the XB6 WiFi or is it just ethernet?  There was a bug in the packet flow that was fixed that affected ethernet but not WiFi..  So I wonder now if you have a old build on your device..


Here is what i am showing:

 

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 1.24.39 PM.png
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


ArrisTuska wrote:

I have one more question for you do you have the same issue on the XB6 WiFi or is it just ethernet?  There was a bug in the packet flow that was fixed that affected ethernet but not WiFi..  So I wonder now if you have a old build on your device..


Also mean to add that when it goes down, it is both wifi and wired devices so it doesnt seem to be tied to that

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Well, it sounds like I'm lucky that I haven't tried to replace my TG1682G yet.  I don't even know whether I can replace it yet here in the Houston Market.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


justinkoehn wrote:

ArrisTuska wrote:

I have one more question for you do you have the same issue on the XB6 WiFi or is it just ethernet?  There was a bug in the packet flow that was fixed that affected ethernet but not WiFi..  So I wonder now if you have a old build on your device..


Also mean to add that when it goes down, it is both wifi and wired devices so it doesnt seem to be tied to that


Your device should get a new load on it on Thursday..  I will keep an eye on it..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


ArrisTuska wrote:

justinkoehn wrote:

ArrisTuska wrote:

I have one more question for you do you have the same issue on the XB6 WiFi or is it just ethernet?  There was a bug in the packet flow that was fixed that affected ethernet but not WiFi..  So I wonder now if you have a old build on your device..


Also mean to add that when it goes down, it is both wifi and wired devices so it doesnt seem to be tied to that


Your device should get a new load on it on Thursday..  I will keep an eye on it..


Fantastic! So is this update set to resolve this as a known issue then? 

Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues



Fantastic! So is this update set to resolve this as a known issue then? 


Well it is RDK code; but I am told it sounds like you have a known issue that should be fixed on the latest release..  We will see what happens..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I, too, am experiencing this issue.  I had them swap the modem today.  Same issue persists. 

 

TG3482G

 

Everything checks out on the WAN side with strong SNR (48+) in the downstream and great signal balance in the upstream.  The router just.... craps out on the packet handling on the LAN side after a handful of hours.  A few times it gets bad enough that a modem power cycle is the only fix.  Only for it to happen again in 12-18 hours.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


WayneAnderson wrote:

I, too, am experiencing this issue.  I had them swap the modem today.  Same issue persists. 

 

TG3482G

 

Everything checks out on the WAN side with strong SNR (48+) in the downstream and great signal balance in the upstream.  The router just.... craps out on the packet handling on the LAN side after a handful of hours.  A few times it gets bad enough that a modem power cycle is the only fix.  Only for it to happen again in 12-18 hours.


Jeez.... According to Arris above, there is supposed to be a new firmware released today if i read his comment correctly. Sounds like it is definitely on the software side of things. What version are you running right now? I am on the following right now: TG3482_2.3p20s2_PROD_sey. Mine has already gone out twice today

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 5.14.29 PM.png
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Model TG3482G

Hardware Version 9.

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:2.0.2.208
Software Image Name:TG3482_2.3p20s2_PROD_sey

 

 I work from home when I am not on the road flying to a customer somewhere - so this is SUPER frusterating.

With the intermittent blips where the router doesnt completely flip out, I can lose VoIP calls or a video stream as well for a second or two.  That is not as huge a customer sat issue as things that make me get up and unplug/replug, but its annoying.

 

Overally my happiness with spending more money on internet only to get junky half-tested gear from Xfinity is not high.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


WayneAnderson wrote:

Model TG3482G

Hardware Version 9.

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:2.0.2.208
Software Image Name:TG3482_2.3p20s2_PROD_sey

 

 I work from home when I am not on the road flying to a customer somewhere - so this is SUPER frusterating.

With the intermittent blips where the router doesnt completely flip out, I can lose VoIP calls or a video stream as well for a second or two.  That is not as huge a customer sat issue as things that make me get up and unplug/replug, but its annoying.

 

Overally my happiness with spending more money on internet only to get junky half-tested gear from Xfinity is not high.


Yeah appears we are still on the same old version of code. I do video game streaming and toward the end of my 2 hour stream i had to just end it because i was dropping packets like crazy. I SERIOUSLY hope they fix this soon or they can have their garbage back

Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


justinkoehn wrote:

WayneAnderson wrote:

I, too, am experiencing this issue.  I had them swap the modem today.  Same issue persists. 

 

TG3482G

 

Everything checks out on the WAN side with strong SNR (48+) in the downstream and great signal balance in the upstream.  The router just.... craps out on the packet handling on the LAN side after a handful of hours.  A few times it gets bad enough that a modem power cycle is the only fix.  Only for it to happen again in 12-18 hours.


Jeez.... According to Arris above, there is supposed to be a new firmware released today if i read his comment correctly. Sounds like it is definitely on the software side of things. What version are you running right now? I am on the following right now: TG3482_2.3p20s2_PROD_sey. Mine has already gone out twice today


The spin I was talking about had a blocker and didnt get pushed out, hoping to have a new load early next week..  I will keep an eye on it..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


ArrisTuska wrote:


The spin I was talking about had a blocker and didnt get pushed out, hoping to have a new load early next week..  I will keep an eye on it..


Any update on this firmware release?

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I can confirm I'm also experiencing this exact same issue. I had a technicolor modem and R8000 Nighhawk for 7 months no issues with my gigabit service. Tech came out this past Friday and swapped me out for the XB6 and I've had nothing but issues. Internet goes completely out randomly. Pulling the power and rebooting it is the only way to restore internet access. Both the ethernet and wifi goes out with extremely high ping times on the router. I've had this happen at least 8 times now in 3 days. There needs to be a fix for this ASAP as rebooting all the time is becoming a real pain!!!
Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


justinkoehn wrote:


Any update on this firmware release?


Not yet but I have some meetings on Tuesday and I will work on getting some answers..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


ArrisTuska wrote:

justinkoehn wrote:


Any update on this firmware release?


Not yet but I have some meetings on Tuesday and I will work on getting some answers..


Please post here and let us know as soon as you can. From what i have been reading in other threads this issue has been around for well over a month or more without any resolution. Mine has been getting worse over the last few days, going down as many as 6 times in a span of a few hours. After getting a phone call from a comcast rep post-survey, Another person called and wanted to setup an on-site tech to come out, even though i told them i was unable to reproduce the issue at will. The guy came out yesterday (8-14-2017) and pretty much did as i expected and tested all of the signals which i knew would lead to nothing. Best part of all of this is while the guy was there, i get an email from comcast outlaying my "service changes" and THEY WERE CHARGING ME 60 DOLLARS (AGAIN!!!!) FOR A PRO INSTALL FOR THIS VISIT!!??!! Needless to say i called customer support and had them remove the charges. After tracking mud across my carpet and leaving, the modem hosed up and internet went out again within half an hour. I called yet again to report the outage and she set me up with another in-house tech to come out today and replace the modem, which i know will more than likely not fix anything, but at least it will take faulty hardware out of the equation. 

 

Again, please let me know ASAP on the status of the new firmware. This is getting ridiculously hilarious. If i have to call comcast one more time to remove a bogus charge, im going to lose my mind....

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Update on my situation: In house comcast guys came out today and again checked everything. They ran a new temp line and things seem to be stable so far, but its only been a couple hours. Permanent line will be ran and buried within a week or two they said. All signals are looking great from their end. Hoping i am getting closer. I could write a novel about this garbage haha

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


justinkoehn wrote:

Update on my situation: In house comcast guys came out today and again checked everything. They ran a new temp line and things seem to be stable so far, but its only been a couple hours. Permanent line will be ran and buried within a week or two they said. All signals are looking great from their end. Hoping i am getting closer. I could write a novel about this garbage haha


I don't understand how your outside coax could cause the problem you described in your first post that started this thread.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


RobertWy wrote:

justinkoehn wrote:

Update on my situation: In house comcast guys came out today and again checked everything. They ran a new temp line and things seem to be stable so far, but its only been a couple hours. Permanent line will be ran and buried within a week or two they said. All signals are looking great from their end. Hoping i am getting closer. I could write a novel about this garbage haha


I don't understand how your outside coax could cause the problem you described in your first post that started this thread.


I do not understand it either. I will say this is the longest ive gone without it screwing it up

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

My fingers are crossed for you as I type this.Smiley Wink

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


RobertWy wrote:

My fingers are crossed for you as I type this.Smiley Wink


Yeah man i seriously hope that was the issue.... Im not holding my breath yet!

 

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Well internet went out again tonight. Guess the new cabling isn't going to fix it after all. Anxiously awaiting this new firmware...
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Internet went out yet again tonight... I will tell you what it is kind of like: Say you have a profile and you pause the device associated with that profile. It is like that except EVERYTHING on the network gets paused. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

So I can 100% confirm the issue is with the XB6.  After putting my XB6 in bridge mode and installing my R8000 that I was smart enough to hang on to back in the loop it has not gone down once in over 3 days.  As soon as I remove the R8000 and take the router out of bridge mode I start getting random complete system disconnects with only a reboot as Justin explained in his post to bring it back online.  The XB6 has some type of bug that is definitely screwing up the gigabit customers in Nashville that have it.  This needs to be fixed ASAP or they are only going to make it worse on themselves as they are rolling these out to all new gigabit customers here.

Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


saunderse4 wrote:

This needs to be fixed ASAP or they are only going to make it worse on themselves as they are rolling these out to all new gigabit customers here.


This is good to know I will forward it to Comcast RDK team..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


ArrisTuska wrote:

saunderse4 wrote:

This needs to be fixed ASAP or they are only going to make it worse on themselves as they are rolling these out to all new gigabit customers here.


This is good to know I will forward it to Comcast RDK team..


Any update on the firmware release? My internet is down yet again, even as i type this...

New Poster

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I was having similar problems, and did the following (for Netgear R8500):

1. Disabled the wifi on the XB6. Left it as DHCP.

2. Let R8500 configure itself through netgear genie - I believe it is running as an access point. For some reason, I cannot reach the admin functions through th IP address, but all has been working fine and speeds are excellent.

 

i am posting because I did not use bridge mode and perhaps the issue is with the wifi on the xb6.

xxxxxxxxxx@Comcast.net
New Poster

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

wrote the orginal post and was not aware that it would be anonymous...

 

adding the following information. as before, wireless is disabled on the XB6.

 

** OUTSIDE of normal guldelines - my router is not wired directly to the XB6 my only connection is through a netgear switch. if i wire directly the R8500 slows any traffic connected to the router, and direct switch to XB6 connections obtain the full speed. Just reporting this additional information for any having trouble. The switch i am using is a netgear Prosafe GS116v2h2.

xxxxxxxxxx@Comcast.net
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues


Anon173088 wrote:

I was having similar problems, and did the following (for Netgear R8500):

1. Disabled the wifi on the XB6. Left it as DHCP.

2. Let R8500 configure itself through netgear genie - I believe it is running as an access point. For some reason, I cannot reach the admin functions through th IP address, but all has been working fine and speeds are excellent.

 

i am posting because I did not use bridge mode and perhaps the issue is with the wifi on the xb6.


Nah it isnt just the wifi. It is everything on the wired side as well.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Hey, I am just a dummy. But this device wired to the switch and then to the XB6 is getting full speed...

xxxxxxxxxx@Comcast.net
Authorized Vendor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues




Any update on the firmware release? My internet is down yet again, even as i type this...

I am not big on saying "working on it", but it is being worked on the last QA test found some issues with the latest build earlier this week..  The team working the issue is hoping now for next week, this is a high priority item and is getting worked on..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Well, I'll jump in here also with the same issues that others are having with their Arris modem.  I'm on my third modem with the same symptoms.   I get dropouts of wifi and the lan drops to 54 mb last night again (download).  I'm paying for the highest rate of lan service and this certainly isn't it.  

 

This occurs even when I only have one device attached to my switch.  I'm using parallel and cascading switches and it is awful periodic performance.  Many of my smart home devices now won't stay connected - I have to operate them manually.  Occasionally, they will reconnect to the local wifi.  I've gone so far as to remove all devices, did a factory reset, re-registered all devices, connected one switch and one computer for a day.  Performance is abyssmal and over time, I get the same symptoms.

 

Model:TG1682G
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.
Hardware Revision:9.0
 
It would seem that Comcast should be aware of this issue by now.  I recently had a Comcast technician at my home to see if he could find the problem.  He looked at the modem and went "Hhmmmph, another one".  They went through my entire house looking for issues to see if they can get a better signal.  Their solution was to disconnect all wiring not then attached to a TV or modem, replaced a booster in the garage, and again, replaced the modem. They also removed all splitters installed by a previous Comcast rep some number of years ago to "...help balance the signal..." with various spillters that were intended to attenuate and balance the wiring plan in my home.  When they were done we did a Speedtest and got a little of 325 Mb speed (wired).  They were just pulling out of the driveway and dropped to 67 Mb.  This is the wired speed.  Of course I was charged $60 to "lose" all unused wiring in my home and to still have the same problem.
 
I'm now 6 ft from the modem and getting 352.29 download and 31.48 upload wireless from my phone.  I'm getting 360.62 download and 29.45 upload on a 1 Gb wired network from my computer, again in the same room, directly attached to the modem port (no intervening switch).  After typing the above two sentences, I did another speedtest and the rate dropped to 152.87 and 29.74 wireless.
 
Last week I went back to the Comcast store.  I asked if they would swap my modem for a different style.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  Then she explained to me how unfortunate I was and would I like to sign up for the wireless phone service.  They wouldn't even look for one.
 
It's been a few weeks now chasing this problem.  Hopefully, there will be an update that will correct these erratic issues with the Arris modem.
 
Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I finally got fed up with broken promises and dealing with inept phone support so yesterday I went to Best Buy and purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and put the XB6 into bridge mode. I haven't had one issue since.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I've been debating on doing the same thing.  Looking at one now...

I'm pretty fed up with Comcast support.  It's a shame to pay this much and have this poor support and service.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Yep it's awful. Heads up, if you go to Best Buy to get the R7000 make sure you have them price match Amazon who is currently selling it for like $159 👍🏻 (Or you can just order it from Amazon 😂👍🏻)
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I can confirm that putting the modem in bridge mode and getting another router will fix your problem. I have given up with Xfinity as all they want to do is send techs and waste everyone’s time. I work too and can’t wait for a tech every other day because it keeps going out. Figure out your problem but quit wasting your customers time doing it!!! As we said a tech cannot fix this issue and Comcast better hope they are bringing a R8000 out with them during gigabit installs or they are opening up a box of worms they don’t want to get into.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I bought an R8000 to see if it would fix my bridge mode issues. 

No Bueno

 

 

Capture.JPG
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

I, too, have the XB6 and also have the same problem described in this thread. It happens every 2-3 days and a reboot fixes it until the next time. Would love to get the updated firmware when it's available. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G LAN Interface Issues

Ive been rebooting my modem at least once per day.  It seems to deteriorate pretty quickly on some days, requiring an additional reboot.  It's the only way I can keep the network operational.  Other smart home devices are dropping out throughout the day.

 

I'm sure glad I don't have Xfinity security running over this junk modem.

 

One would think Xfinity could acknowledge this issue and provide some type of sense of urgency for a fix.