Community Forum

Xfinity Wireless very slow on mobile devices only.

New Poster

Xfinity Wireless very slow on mobile devices only.

I recently switched to Comcast Xfinity internet from AT&T U-Verse.  The connection speeds w/ the wireless gateway are great for my Wifi desktop and laptop. 

However, my cell phone is a different matter entirely. The wifi connection is basically unusable. It will connect to the WiFi just fine, but any app or website I attempt to visit takes several seconds before the connection to those servers will even start.  It almost appears as though it's being throttled or there's an issue with resolving the host name?

This is a new issue with Comcast, as I didn't have any trouble with the U-Verse service.  I've looked through the router settings but cannot find anything relavent as to why only my phone is experiencing this.

I have a Sprint LG G2 running Android 4.4.  My phone hasn't been changed or updated since the switch.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions that I should look into to correct this?

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Wireless very slow on mobile devices only.

I exactly have the same problem with Android devices.

I bought Samsung S5 (brand new, a few days ago) & I have a Samsung Note 8 tablet. On both these devices, Facebook doesnt load at all, Pictures dont load on instagram, Many apps (like Whats app etc) fail to notify me when on Home WiFi. (Xfinity wifi) 

- There is no issue with my devices. They work just fine when I switch to mobile data. or if I switch to wifi at starbucks or at office ...they work just fine.

- Home WiFI works fine on TV,Laptops. I stream movies on netflix, play online games on Xbox and I even connect my office laptop to VPN networks at the same time..no qualms there.

So I m kind of zero'ing on there is some glitch in WiFI which is causing the apps on mobile devices to restrict internet access. I have reset my router, did factory reset on my mobile devices.. tried clearing cache & data on mobile devices...nothing helped...

And I see that on this forum, many with android devices are facing this issue... appreciate if comcast can give any direction..

Tags (1)
New Poster

I have the exact same problem in south florida. I am using xfinity provided gateway and apps on my nexus 5 are extremely slow. Switch to lte and the apps are fine. I have 3 laptops that use this wifi and they are all fine. Something with xfinity wifi and android apps. So frustrating. 

Regular Visitor

I am also seeing this on a new X1 upgrade. PCs work fine with comcast X83 router wirelessly at 15mb. Cabled, PC shows 25mb which is what I expect. Android tablet with 4.1.2 will only show 5mb with speakeasy speed test. Quit using comcast speed test due to highly erratic results. Android phones will connect to wireless 2.5 but actual connections (browsing, email) do not work. phones will connect to 5ghz but again no browse or email.

Frequent Visitor

same problem here on my mot x. anyone find a solution?

New Poster

Same here, watching youtube is impossible on my iPad with buffering every 5 seconds.

Frequent Visitor

Ok so for anyone on android experiencing this problem I have a solution that worked for me . Download DNSet from the play store and enable it . It changes the DNS on your phone to googles DNS
Frequent Visitor

Ok so for anyone on android experiencing this problem I have a solution that worked for me . Download DNSet from the play store and enable it . It changes the DNS on your phone to googles DNS. Please let me know if this helped you
Regular Visitor

The problem I had with slow speed turned out to be a bug of some sort in Android browser and speakeasy speedtest as well as comcast speed test. These are flash apps hosted in the browser and niether test works correctly. Speedtest.net android app works correctly and speed is actually 25+mb as expected. Now working on connectivity issues with galaxy s3 phones and comcast router. The fun never stops!

New Poster

I am having the same issue. Anyone resolve this yet?

Using Google DNS does not work as this is not a DNS problem. It is a speed problem.

Regular Visitor

Just to clarify, there was nothing wrong with my wifi or devices. The speed measuring tools did mot work right. I solved my problem with the speed measuring app from ookla.

New Poster

I had the same troubles. My WifI speed as measure on the android Speedtest app was fast but facebook refused to play nice. I have my own router/wifi hub connected to my Xfinity router. This means I can set the DNS to google or OPENDNS. But neither helped. Facebook would still not load images. In the end I messed with the DHCP lease time. The Xfinity router is set to config DHCP so I reduced the IP lease time to 2 hours. Now facebook is good. I have no idea why and if the low IP lease time will impact other apps. We'll see.  

New Poster

I am currently battling this issue with Galaxy Note 4. Same problems on my old galaxy s4. Has anyone come to a guaranteed working solution? Has anyone contacted comcast about this and NOT had them seem throughly upset by the fact that they have no idea what you're talking about? This is obviously a serious issue as most of us pay data plans nowadays.
New Poster

I am having the same issue with my Galaxy Note 4. While on the home wifi network I am not receiving emails until I unlock the phone. An email sent at 9:00pm, I don't get until 4:00am when I open the phone. I get the emails almost instananeously on any other wifi network, and if I'm in the 4G network.

If anyone has any ideas please reply, this is getting very frustraing, well honestly its beyond frustraing at this point.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue. Laptop works OK but Galaxy S4 is basically unusable. Browsing is slow, Facebook doesn't load images, other apps load data slowly.

Tried resetting router and that didn't help.
New Poster

Hello, I too have started experiencing this issue over the last month or so. I have an HTC one with Verizon and the wireless works fine on all other devices except loading Facebook on my phone as well as my wife's iPhone 4s over WiFi. One thing I notice is that when I access the router and either reset the WiFi module or just reset the entire router, Facebook will load instantly on my phone, but it then reverts back to the original issue after only an hour or so after reset.
New Poster

Exact same issue here.

Problem Solver

Hi All,

Hopefully I can help a bit. first off wireless speed are to be as fast as a wired connection especially if it is a N Device but sometimes with other devices below N it may be a bit slower so here are some steps to look for:

1. XFinity Wireless devices are known to be a bit weak.. either live with it and buy some range extenders or bridge the gateway and buy a Seperate Wireless router..

2. Download WiFi analyzer and take not of the channels in your local area, you may be better off switching to another channel less congestion..

3. Which devices do you have B/G/N/AC?? if you have g/N set the Wirless to N only dont worry it is backwards compatible to G if you have older devices.. Upgrade your devices to N or AC.,.

4. Disable WMM this will give a good boost most times..

I was at my sisters house over last weekend and she was getting slow wireless speeds.. I switched channels and disabled WMM and instantly the speeds where as fast as her wired speeds... she has FIOS 50/50 and they where faster then rated Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

Please report on any useful info...