Community Forum

Xfinity Wifi hotspot keeps turning back on.

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Wifi hotspot keeps turning back on.

When the Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots in homes became active, I turned mine off. It turned back on even though my account said it was turned off, so I had to call and they saw that it was deactivated my account, but still transmitting a signal, so they had to do something on their into turn it off. A while later it was back on again, so I had to call once again, because it was already disabled in my account. Once again they saw that it was disabled on my account, but transmitting a signal, so they had to do something to turn it off. Now it is turned on again. I know 100% that it is the signal coming from my router, because when I unplug my router it goes away and the bars match our home Wi-Fi signal. I called and they said it was disabled in my account, so there was nothing they could do, but I want the signal turned off permanently. It should not be turning back on. 

20180309_182442.jpg

I rent this router from Xfinity. If they want to make money off of it by letting other people connect to it, I should either get a discount or they should pay me, since it has been shown to increase your electricity bill slightly. As much as I have to pay for cable and internet, I do not believe that Xfinity should be letting other people use the equipment in my home that I am paying for. 

Expert

Re: Xfinity Wifi hotspot keeps turning back on.

This has been a complaint for a while. I don't know that there is a solution outside of buying your own equipment.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

I got an email that said I should mark this as resolved, but it's not resolved. I had to have a technician come out who exchanged my router, which did allow me to be able to turn off the hotspot. However, I was told every time the router updated it would turn back on. This is unacceptable, since it creates parental control issues, slows down my internet, and I do not believe it's right for Comcast to profit by letting other people use devices that we are renting without giving us a discount or some type of benefit. By default this should be turned off and we should have the option to turn it back on, not the other way around. And if that is the only option, I want to be notified when it turns on, so I can immediately turn it back off, but I am not. I should also be able to control parental controls on it, so I can limit who is accessing it and make sure neighborhood kids aren't using it to get around parental controls. I have had a problem with this as well.

Frequent Visitor

I just recently caught them enabling the wifi hotspot on mine recently too.  Seems they purposely designed it so it can't be turned off in the modem settings either. 

Even though it said disabled on the comcast website I clicked enable and waited for a while and than disabled.  It seems to be off again for now.  If they keep it up I will buy my own. 

Even if comcast waied the monthly modem fee I wouldn't want the hot spot on.

New Poster

I own my own Xfinity router, and they still ignore my default setting and turn the public wifi back on all the time.

Aggravating, to say the least.  I hate this company.  Charge you for everything, including exchanging faulty tv boxes that I lease from them and pay a monthly fee for.  They are providing a service, it is their equipment; they should exchange it for free when it fails.  I do chat support now, exclusively, and make a copy of the conversation so when I insist they ship me new equipment at no charge, and include a pre-paid shipping label to return their equipment and they finally agree to do so, then I have proof when two months later I get billed a "convenience" charge or shipping, or both.  I refuse to take half a day of my time to drive to their store; every time they send a technician with the promise to not charge if it turns out to be their problem, somehow the technician tries to make it a billable visit.  Don't trust them at all.  So, I now insist they mail me replacement hardware free of charge, including a prepaid return shipping label, insist on credit on my bill for lost service for the time it takes to exchange, get it all agreed to in chat, copy/paste the entire chat conversation to a text file and then watch my bill like a hawk.  Still have to battle for another hour to get the bogus charges removed and proper credit applied.

And they wonder why their reviews are horrible and people are fleeing cable companies.

Expert

@kayak123 wrote:

I own my own Xfinity router, and they still ignore my default setting and turn the public wifi back on all the time.

Hotspots only exist on Xfinity leased equipment. Customer-owned devices do not have hotspots.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Not true janitor.  My hotspot all but disappears when I unplug my router/modem.  And I own this equipment.  Not sure where you're coming up with your information, but it is clearly disputed by me, and others, in this forum.

Frequent Visitor

That is correct, I bought the Comcast Branded Arris modem as per their customer service people. I did not wanted to lease a modem for life and pay their fees. I can turn off the Hotspot in my account settings (it shows as Off) but you can still see the hotspot working.

I called their tech support people and they say they cannot do anything with it since it is not one of their products. Yeah it is not a leased Comcast modem but it sure it is branded with their name.

Bunch of Morons.

Silver Problem Solver

@kayak123 wrote:

Not true janitor.  My hotspot all but disappears when I unplug my router/modem.  And I own this equipment.  Not sure where you're coming up with your information, but it is clearly disputed by me, and others, in this forum.

What do you mean by "all but disappears"?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.