Community Forum

Xfinity WiFi On Demand (Hotspot) Down Since 06/15/19 in 22202

New Poster

Xfinity WiFi On Demand (Hotspot) Down Since 06/15/19 in 22202

@ComcastJohnN I do not have a residential Comcast account nor equipment, because I use Xfinity WiFi On Demand (public hotspot) access passes to access the internet on my smartphone and laptop. Since last night, I haven't been able to connect to xfinitywifi at 1400 South Joyce Street, Arlington, VA 22202 (this is a major apartment complex, and it's not my residence, so please don't think I'm publicly posting my address) from either device. I get the error message "Failed to obtain IP address." However, I *am* able to connect in nearby areas, about a mile away. I tried tweeting and DM-ing @ComcastCares, but they don't seem to... care Smiley Sad
Can you get someone to ping the tower, or reset the router, near the above address? Thank you! I'm going on 24 hours without WiFi and my cellular data plan is about to get used up.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity WiFi On Demand (Hotspot) Down Since 06/15/19 in 22202

I thought I was the only one having a problem with the on demand pass/ hotspot. It was working just fine before. you think they have a service outage ?
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity WiFi On Demand (Hotspot) Down Since 06/15/19 in 22202

Hi there, tinagee. Welcome to the community, thank you for posting here for support. That is frustrating that the hotspot at that location doesn't seem to be working properly. I realize you're able to connect to other hotspots at different locations just fine, which is good. A number of factors can affect WiFi connections, including but not limited to your proximity to the WiFi hotspot, device signal strength being hindered by buildings, trees or other structures and even the device type. If the xfinitywifi network name is in the available network list, and you still can't connect, check your WiFi-enabled device to see how many signal bars are present. If there are only one or two bars, you may need to move closer to the source of the signal. Moving closer to the center of the hotspot will increase the quality of the connection. Do you mind trying to move closer (if you haven't already) to see if that helps establish a connection? Let us know.

Ncollins2 ~ Welcome to you as well. WiFi On Demand works a little bit differently and we actually have a designated group that supports issues such as the one you're experiencing. I recommend reaching out to them here: 866-489-0919 if you're experiencing trouble with a WiFi Pass. Outside of a pass, we can do our best to help you out here with the hotspot connectivity problem.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!