Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Voice UPGRADE Modem POSITIVE Install Experience!

Regular Contributor

Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Voice UPGRADE Modem POSITIVE Install Experience!

Not sure what Forum to post this on but thought I would share my install experience.

1.  Got the letter that it was time to upgrade Modem - filled online form.

2.  3 days later got modem.

3.  Very hesitant since I had numerous home cameras and cell phones and remember the install fun!

4.  Decided the best way to get my camera's and cellphones to "not skip a beat" was to make sure I used the same device name and password.  I went into Chat Mode - the associate sent procedures to my email.

5.  Didn't use the new coax, etc.  Unplugged (power) and removed phone and ethernet cable.

6.  Silent prayer - plugged in cables in reverse order.

7.  Now, patience is the key here.  All lights came on and then went off - nothing but power light.

8.  Moved in panic mode - opened browser - entered install URL - nothing - remember - no internet!  Patience is the key.  The dog wanted to go outside so took him out and when I got back in - browser opened Xfinity install procedure.

9.  WindowsXP had me identify network in another window.

10.  Seems like took hours (but was only about 10-20 minutes - forgot to look at clock but felt like an hour!) for the modem to boot and go through its process.  Activation took a while - key - patience!

11.  Changed my WiFi to my old name and password.

11.  After about 30 minutes or so - the phone leds came to life and I had phone service.

12. OMG - my camera's came back online and my cell phones connected  - didn't have to play that game again.

13.  So far - upgrade was exactly as advertised BUT remember - be patient - it doesn't just go boom boom boom and you are back online.

14.  Side note - I had to buy an WiFi Extender to reach two of my cameras on the otherside of the house because the supplied modem has almost zero range.  BUT - ALL my cameras came online I figured my "WiFi Extender" also recovered nicely.  NOT!  My Extender was OFFLINE because it requires me to go the manual WPS/Modem route (IP stuff).  However, the new modem must have a stronger signal because it is no longer needed!  Yes - the new modem actually has some range!  I now have a WiFi Extender in the drawer!  Smiley Happy

Hope this helps others...